Seven to compete for Young Miss titlePublished 9:22pm Tuesday, June 26, 2012
BELHAVEN — Seven girls will compete for the first-ever Young Miss Independence crown, to be awarded this weekend.
This new award is part of a triple crown of pageantry held in celebration of America’s birthday. The Young Miss pageant features contestants from 12 through 14 years old. Areas of competition include evening gown, workout/fitness wear, onstage question and patriotic wear in red, white and blue.
The pageant will be held beginning at 6:30 p.m. Saturday in the Northside High School auditorium. It kicks off Belhaven’s Independence festivities that continue through July 4. Directing the pageant is the reigning Miss Independence, Elizabeth Harris.
Vying for the Young Miss Independence crown, which brings with it other prizes including a scholarship, are the following girls:
• Kendall Alligood, the 14-year-old daughter of Joseph and Linda Alligood of Washington, a student at Northside High School;
• Hayley Linton, the 13-year-old daughter of Larry and Donna Linton of Bath, a student at Northeast Elementary School;
• Kristina Midgette, the 14-year-old daughter of Steven and Sonya Midgette of Belhaven, a student at Northside High School,
• Tiffany Oliver, the 13-year-old daughter of Butch and Tabitha Oliver of Pinetown, a student at Bath Elementary School;
• Casey Powell, the 14-year-old daughter of Timmy and Nancy Powell of Pantego, a student at Beaufort County Early College High School;
• Leah Rodriguez, the 12-year-old daughter of Edwin and Cynthia Rodriguez of Washington, a student at Bath Elementary School;
• Bethany Smith, the 12-year-old daughter of Joey and Beverly Smith of Belhaven, a student at Northeast Elementary School.
Scheduled for next week are the Miss Independence pageant, held the evening of July 3, and the Little Miss Independence pageant, scheduled for the morning of July 4. Those pageants will be held at the John A. Wilkinson Center in Belhaven.
More information about the pageants and the Independence Day celebration can be found on the Belhaven Community Chamber of Commerce website: www.belhavenchamber.com.