Archived Story

Club News

Published 8:54pm Monday, November 12, 2012

Hyde County Historical
and Genealogical Society

Over 60 Hyde County Historical and Genealogical Society members and friends met Sunday, Oct. 28, at Sladesville Baptist Church for the Society’s fall meeting. Roy Spencer, a member of the host church, greeted all and told the group some of the history of the Sladesville Baptist Church. Then, Morgan Harris, former longtime educator in the Hyde County schools, was introduced as the featured speaker and spoke about his recently published book, “New Currituck.” He recognized many residents of the Sladesville Scranton area who had helped him doing research for the publication. Featured in the book are numerous maps drawn by Harris which show Sladesville and the surrounding areas at different points in time from about 1800 forward to current times.
As part of the program, President Isabelle Homes also recognized Jeff Credle and the Rev. Jim Lupton, each of whom spoke, respectively, about the nearby historic churches of Epworth United Methodist Church and St. John’s Episcopal Church.
R.S. Spencer, one of the editors of the Society’s “High Tides” journal, gave information on the Society’s other available publications. He noted that the fall issue of  “High Tides” focuses on the Sladesville Sranton area and also includes a section of Abstracts of Hyde County Deed Book D/E compiled by the Society’s other editor, Betty Mann.
The meeting concluded with refreshments prepared by members of the Sladesville Baptist Church.
The purpose of the HCHGS is to collect, research, preserve and exchange genealogical and historical information of Hyde County, NC. New members are always welcomed. For information, send request to P.O. Box 517, Engelhard, NC 27824.

Down East Seniors

The Down East Seniors met at the Hampton Inn on Wednesday, Oct. 31. President Jack Pyburn opened the meeting at 10 a.m. with the Pledge of Allegiance. Ed Sample led the singing of “America,” and Dave Kelly delivered the invocation. A card of condolence was signed and will be sent to the family of the late Charles Kuehn, a long-standing member.
Dan Olson introduced his speaker, Ray Midgett, who spoke on the history of Washington, which traces back to 1726 when Christopher Dudley was granted 337 acres by the Crown. Shipbuilding in Washington dates back to 1769 when the 70 ton Brig ACORN was built here. The name Washington was adopted in 1776. By 1783 there were 30 houses in Washington, and during the War of 1812, this was an active center of privateering against British shipping. Midgett covered progress up to the Civil War, followed by decline, and then an upsurge of regrowth starting in the 1880s.
John Tunstall conducted the 50/50 drawing, the winner of which was Julius Brauer.

Editor's Picks

N.C. DMV process a work in progress

Last April, the North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles opened up a brand new, two-story facility in Charlotte. Gone are the lengthy documents of old. ... Read more

Honoring fathers everywhere

The third Sunday every June is the time to celebrate Father’s Day. However, it hasn’t been nationally recognized for that long. The first official Father’s ... Read more