Plymouth quarterback Shamontez Ferebee (near) and the Vikings topped Princeton 42-20 on Friday to advance to the NCHSAA 1-A title game. (WDN Photo/Brian Haines)

Archived Story

Plymouth headed to state title game

Published 11:32pm Friday, November 23, 2012

PLYMOUTH — Cinderella’s time ran up on Friday night as No. 1-seeded Plymouth pushed the clock up to midnight on eighth-seeded Princeton with a 42-20 victory in the East Regional round of the NCHSAA 1-A playoffs.
The win cements the Vikings (14-0) second trip the state title game in five years as they advance to face a Murphy team that squeezed past Albemarle 27-24.
The two teams will battle next week inside N.C. State’s Carter-Finley Stadium, the same site Plymouth played in when it won the state title in 2007.
“The team is really, really happy. They did a heck-of-a job,” Plymouth coach Robert Cody said. “Right now, it just hasn’t even sunk in yet. I’m sure later on tonight I will think about it, but it’s truly for the kids and they did a great job.”
One week after rushing for 317 yards against Manteo, Plymouth running back Carl McCray was no doubt the focus of the Bulldogs (5-8) attention but he still managed to score three touchdowns.
Fellow running back Quadree Pettiford rushed for a team-high 93 yards and a score, while QB Shamontez Ferebee completed two of his three pass attempts, with one of them going 25 yards to TE DeAndre Phelps for a touchdown.
The Vikings’ benefitted from a stout defensive performance in which it forced three turnovers and scored off of all three, with a 95-yard interception return by CB Khalil Shepard highlighting the effort.
Facing a versatile Princeton offense that shifted from spread to wing formations, Plymouth always seemed to have the right answer on Friday night.
“We defended well. They did a lot of stuff and we had to move our defensive guys around a lot,” Cody said. “I thought they did a good job of recognizing the formations really, really well tonight.”
The Vikings got out to a fast start as they recovered a fumble on the opening kickoff, which led to a quick score.
Plymouth would capitalize on another fumble recovery later in the quarter to take a 16-0 lead.
Princeton showed the resiliency that allowed it to advance to the East Regional round of the playoffs in the second quarter when it came up with a key fourth down stop and answered with a touchdown.
The Bulldogs were knocking on the door once again when Shepard made what might have been the play of the night when he picked off a Bulldogs’ pass at the 5-yard line and returned it 95 yards to take a 24-6 lead.
Not to be outdone, Princeton coach Derrick Minor reached into his bag of tricks right before the half and called for a hook-and-ladder, which his team was able to score on to cut the deficit to 24-14 at halftime.
Plymouth added a touchdown in the third to take a 30-14 lead into the fourth, where it scored its second and third unanswered touchdowns of the half to take a 42-14 lead before Bulldogs answered with late score.

Editor's Picks

All politics is local

Although there is no presidential election, gubernatorial or state legislature elections this year, it is important that voters in the municipal elections this fall go ... Read more