Goddard has 10 tackles, interception

Published 10:16 am Monday, November 5, 2007

By By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
GODDARD, MOORE
Trimane Goddard, a starting safety for the North Carolina Tar Heels, had a team-high 10 tackles and an interception in Saturday’s 16-13 win over Maryland.
For the season, Goddard, a safety and former standout at Roanoke High School, has 47 tackles, two interceptions, one sack and two forced fumbles.
Goddard’s interception, the fifth of his career, came near the end of the first half. The Tar Heels capitalized off the turnover by nailing a field goal.
Jock Moore, a fullback and former standout at Washington High School, has not compiled any stats to date.
The Heels (2-6, 2-3 ACC) play at N.C. State in a noon game next Saturday.
ROACH
Catawba quarterback Brad Roach threw for 237 yards and four touchdowns in Saturday’s 56-21 win over Brevard.
Roach had a pair of 16-yard scoring strikes in the first quarter, a 19-yard TD toss just before the half and a 37-yarder in the third quarter. He was 15-of-24 for 237 yards with the four scores and three interceptions.
For the season, Roach is 170-of-286 (59.4 percent) for 2,461 yards. He’s thrown 21 touchdowns and 12 interceptions.
On the ground, the former Williamston High School standout has rushed for 87 yards and three scores on 31 carries.
Roach and the Indians (9-1, 5-1 South Atlantic) play host to Lenoir-Rhyne in the regular season finale at 1:30 p.m. next Saturday.
HAYWOOD, WHITNEY, RODGERS
Bryan Haywood’s touchdown in the fourth quarter gave North Carolina Wesleyan a 24-17 win in Saturday’s game against Ferrum College.
Haywood scored on a 1-yard run with 3:47 to play. He ran for 10 yards on six carries, along with returning two kickoffs for 47 yards.
For the year, Haywood, a former standout at Southside High School, has 83 carries for 626 yards and eight touchdowns, 10 receptions for 103 yards and a score, and 12 kickoff returns for 238 yards (19.8 average).
Davelle Whitney and Nigel Rodgers also played for the Bishops. Whitney had one tackle.
Whitney, a former teammate of Haywood’s at Southside, has a total of 24.5 tackles, two interceptions and a sack on the year.
Rodgers, a former standout at Washington High School, has 10 tackles and one fumble recovery this season.
The Bishops (7-2, 6-0 USA South) play their regular season finale next Saturday in a 7 p.m. game at Greensboro College.
WILSON
C.J. Wilson, a defensive end for the East Carolina Pirates, had four tackles and his team-leading sixth sack in Saturday’s 56-40 win over Memphis.
The sack was a 12-yard loss.
For the season, Wilson, a former standout at Northside High School, has 31 tackles. That includes nine tackles-for-loss, second best on the Pirates, for a team-best 49 yards in loss. Wilson has six sacks for 42 yards in loss, 10 quarterback hurries, one forced fumble, one blocked field goal and one blocked PAT.
The Pirates (6-4, 5-1 C-USA) play in a 4:30 p.m. game at Marshall next Saturday.
PALMER
Greg Palmer, a linebacker for the Chowan Hawks, did not record any stats in Saturday’s 62-10 loss to Presbyterian College.
For the season, Palmer, a former standout at Northside High School, has 25 tackles, one sack, one pass deflection and two quarterback hurries.
The Hawks (1-9) play at Newport News Apprentice in the regular season finale at 1 p.m. next Saturday.
CLEMMONS
Jamaine Clemmons, a defensive lineman for the N.C. State Wolfpack, didn’t record any stats in Saturday’s 19-16 overtime win against Miami.
Clemmons, a former standout at Williamston High School, has three tackles and one quarterback pressure this season.
The Wolfpack (4-5, 2-3 ACC) plays host to North Carolina in a noon game next Saturday.
LAWRENCE
Gerald Lawrence, a linebacker and former standout at Washington High School, did not play for Elizabeth City in Saturday’s 10-6 win over Bowie State.
Saturday’s game was the regular season finale for the Vikings (5-5, 5-2 CIAA).
VALENTI
Gina Valenti helped to lead Lees-McRae to the Division II Southeast Regional championship, held at Wingate University.
The former Washington High School standout placed fifth for the Bobcats.
Valenti finished in 24th overall in 25 minutes, 23 seconds.
Lees-McRae finished with 70 points, 47 better than runner-up finisher Wingate.
BRACEY, O’NEAL, JONES, JARMAN, JOHNSON
A handful of former area athletes are playing volleyball at Pitt Community College.
Former Williamston High School star Michelle Bracey has 150 kills, 57 blocks and 17 digs. Former Williamston teammate Lauren O’Neal has 41 kills and 17 blocks.
Three former Southside High School standouts also play for the Bulldogs. Augusta Johnson has 33 kills, 23 assists, 20 blocks and 10 digs. Danielle Jarman has come up with 26 kills, 31 digs and seven blocks. Ashley Jones has 85 digs and 20 service aces.
The Bulldogs recently played in the Region X Conference Tournament in Spartanburg, S.C.