Hudson, Baker churning out the yards for Roanoke

Published 2:37 pm Thursday, November 29, 2007

ROBERSONVILLE — While Plymouth’s Tobias Clagon and Andre Mitchell have put up gaudy numbers all season, running for over 3,500 yards and 42 touchdowns, Roanoke’s Savion Hudson and Lakendrick Baker haven’t been too shabby themselves.
The Redskins’ duo has provided a wicked one-two punch. Hudson, a powerful and fearless runner, and Baker, who has breakaway speed, have no clue how many yards they’ve accumulated this season.
Then again, they don’t care.
Hudson’s backfield mate shares the same thought process.
The two won’t pay much attention to their stats Friday either, but it’s a safe bet Hudson and Baker will factor largely in the outcome. They will lead the Redskins (10-4) into Friday’s NCHSAA Class 1-A East Regional championship game at Plymouth (14-0) Friday night.
The Redskins have advanced to the East Regional championship game after six-point wins in the first three rounds of the state playoffs — 52-46 over Northside, 26-20 in overtime over Williamston and 24-18 over Perquimans.
Hudson, a three-time WDN All-Area selection who has undoubtedly rushed for over 1,000 yards this year, has been a key figure on both sides of the ball for the Redskins.
The senior credits the Roanoke coaching staff for his success.
Roanoke fourth-year coach Brian Paschal said Hudson has only gotten better with each passing season.
Baker, the cousin of former Roanoke standout Garrett Baker, has also put together a solid season on both sides of the ball.
Hudson and Baker are both seniors. While both have aspirations to play in college, neither is ready for their high school careers to come to an end.
If the two want to keep playing beyond Friday night, the Redskins will have to upset the fourth-ranked Vikings. Plymouth claimed a 44-14 win during the regular season.
Hudson, who said he admires former Roanoke standout at current North Carolina safety Trimane Goddard, said the Redskins will have to go into the game with the proper mind set.