Plymouth takes a pause to savor season; will be in a new conference in 2009

Published 3:37 pm Tuesday, December 4, 2007

By By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
RALEIGH — You never know where you are going to be when reality hits, but for Plymouth head coach Robert Cody, like the rest of his season, he was in the right place at the right time.
After his Vikings topped Roanoke 48-6 in the NCHSAA 1-A East Regional Friday, Cody said it would take some time for the fact to sink in that, after coaching for 28 years, he was finally headed to a state championship game.
Cody finally saw the light on Sunday.
The fact that his Vikings will be playing for a state title this Saturday against North Duplin was inescapable Monday, as Cody and all the other coaches vying for championship glory attended a press conference held at Carter-Finley Stadium.
After going 15-0 and outscoring opponents 174-6 in the postseason, there is no doubt that Cody and his Vikings are exactly where they deserve to be.
Cody said his senior-heavy team has taken a step back to appreciate how far it has come.
Cody has taken a hint from his players, and said that he has taken a timeout himself to savor the moment.
The Plymouth skipper’s enlightenment was apparent on Monday as he took time out to speak with various media outlets, and joked with several reporters and fellow coaches. However, Cody said it’s back to business once he got in his car and headed back to Plymouth.
The sight of Carter-Finley Stadium, the home of the Wolfpack, is a beautiful one. The stadium is enormous, the field is maintained flawlessly and there is bright red detailing throughout. The sight can no doubt easily entrance any 1-A football player.
Cody said that to keep his players from being awe struck, he’ll take them to the stadium on Friday.
The Vikings will make their claim for a state title on Saturday when they kick off against the Rebels at 11 a.m.
Area teams could be in new conferences
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
If the N.C. High School Athletic Association’s preliminary realignment proposal goes through, the Washington Pam Pack will strictly be in a 3-A classification. Meanwhile, there will be a shake-up with the area’s 1-A schools as well.
The proposal, which would be effective for the school years from 2009 to 2013, will be voted on next spring.
Washington is currently playing in a split 4-A/3-A Conference. J.H. Rose and New Bern comprise the 4-A (large) schools, while the 3-A schools are Washington, D.H. Conley, Havelock, South Central, West Carteret and West Craven.
The proposal currently on the table would have those six 3-A schools in their own conference.
According to the adjusted realignment numbers among the 96 3-A schools, Washington has 1,097 students. That is the ninth fewest among the 96 schools.
Ashbrook High School has the most students among the 3-A schools with 1,392 students.
Among the Coastal Conference 3-A schools, D.H. Conley is the largest with 1,379 students (fourth highest overall), followed by South Central (1,305), West Carteret (1,230), Havelock (1,199) and West Craven (1,115).
New Bern has 1,879 students and J.H. Rose has 1,819 students.
Northside and Southside would be among a nine-school 1-A conference if the realignment proposal is passed.
The proposal puts Northside and Southside with Williamston, Roanoke, Plymouth, Perquimans, Gates County, Camden and Manteo.
Southside has the most students among the area 1-A schools with 559 pupils, followed by Plymouth (534), Williamston (531), Northside (506) and Roanoke (338).
Other schools in the proposed conference and their realignment numbers are Gates County (628), Camden (584), Perquimans (549) and Manteo (446).
Northside, Southside, Williamston and Roanoke are currently in the Atlantic Conference, while Plymouth is in the Albemarle Conference with Camden, Perquimans and Manteo.
The area’s smallest schools would be in another conference. The proposal puts together Bear Grass, Jamesville, Creswell, Columbia, Mattamuskeet, Cape Hatteras and Ocracoke.
Creswell has the fewest students among area schools with 113 pupils. Other area school realignment figures show Bear Grass with 164 students, Jamesville with 172, Columbia with 174 and Mattamuskeet with 182. Cape Hatteras has 211 pupils.
Ocracoke is the smallest 1-A school with 28 students.
Bear Grass, Jamesville, Mattamuskeet, Creswell, Columbia and Cape Hatteras are currently in the Tideland Conference.
Current Conferences
3-A/4-A Coastal Conference
Washington
D.H. Conley
Havelock
South Central
West Carteret
West Craven
J.H. Rose
New Bern
Proposed 3-A Conference
West Carteret
Havelock
West Craven
Washington
South Central
Conley, D.H.
1-A Atlantic Conference
Northside
Southside
Williamston
Roanoke
1-A Albemarle Conference
Plymouth
Manteo
Camden
Perquimans
1-A Tideland Conference
Bear Grass
Jamesville
Mattamuskeet
Creswell
Columbia
Cape Hatteras
Proposed Conference
Creswell
Bear Grass
Jamesville
Columbia
Mattamuskeet
Ocracoke
Cape Hatteras
Proposed Conference
Manteo
Camden
Gates
Perquimans
Plymouth
Northside
Southside
Williamston
Roanoke