Roach excited about bowl game

Published 10:32 pm Monday, January 7, 2008

After a week of practices, meetings and special events, Brad Roach will wrap up his impressive college football career in Friday’s Division II Cactus Bowl.
The All-American quarterback for the Catawba Indians, who flew to to Kingsville, Texas, Saturday in preparation for the bowl game, is excited about his opportunity.
Roach, who was 224-of-376 (59.6 percent) for 3,322 yards with 32 touchdown passes on the year, has been in Charlotte preparing for the game. The former Williamston High School standout, who ran for 91 yards and three scores his senior year at Catawba, has been practicing with six other players.
Roach and his teammates will take an NFL written test on Sunday besides practicing. The players will run NFL 40’s and go through agility testing on Monday.
That’s on top of practices, usually twice a day.
One of his “guys” will be Catawba teammate Kory Fisher, a former New Bern standout who is also playing in the Cactus Bowl.
Along with meeting different players, Roach is looking forward to a special trip.
All the practicing will culminate in the bowl game, which kicks off in Javelina Stadium at 8 p.m. Friday.
A handful of Roach’s top supporters will be in the stands, including his father, former Martin County sheriff Keith Roach, who is driving to Texas to watch his son.
Roach’s mother, Amy, will take the more conventional means by flying. She’ll be joined by one of Roach’s aunts, his grandmother and his girlfriend, UNC-Wilmington student Angel Ahsani.
Roach is hoping his father will be able to follow his career in the NFL.