Pam Pack football players, Daniels, Jones commit to in-state schools

Published 4:48 am Thursday, February 7, 2008

By Staff
Daniels rushing to UNC-Pembroke
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
After running for 5,168 yards and 57 touchdowns in a Washington Pam Pack uniform, Travis Daniels is ready to see what he can do on the college level.
Daniels, the Daily News’ Offensive Player of the Year and the Coastal Conference Player of the Year, made it official on Wednesday when he signed to continue his academic and athletic career at UNC-Pembroke.
He said there were plenty of reasons as to why he wanted to join the Braves’ football program.
Daniels, who will play running back for the Braves, said it was a relief to finally sign the deal.
Daniels’ high school football coach, Sport Sawyer, is happy for his star back.
The 5-10, 175-pound Daniels joins a program that will enter just its second year of existence. The Braves went 4-7 in their inaugural season last year.
Sawyer thinks it will be a good starting point for Daniels.
Daniels, the son of George Daniels and Tammy Randolph, said he’ll be ready to play in the fall.
Jones slashing his way to Lenoir-Rhyne
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
When Jamont Jones was a freshman, he saw some struggles the Washington Pam Pack football team was going through. Jones helped turn it into a winning program and into a playoff contender.
He’s hoping he’ll have the same opportunity with the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears.
Jones made it official on Wednesday when he signed to continue his academic and athletic career with the Bears.
It was a decision that had been weighing on his mind for some time.
Washington Pam Pack coach Sport Sawyer said Jones should fit in well at Lenoir-Rhyne.
The 5-9, 170-pound senior was a versatile and multi-threat for the Pam Pack. Jones finished with 40 receptions for 622 yards and 10 scores, along with 303 yards rushing and two touchdowns.
Along with being a standout in the secondary, where he led the Pam Pack with seven interceptions, Jones was also a dangerous return man. He proved that by returning the opening kickoff of the season for a touchdown at North Pitt.
Jones is being recruited as an “athlete” at Lenoir-Rhyne.
Jones is anxious to help the Bears improve on their season from a year ago. They finished 2-9 overall and 0-6 in South Atlantic Conference play.
Jones credits his parents, Valerie and Wayne Jones, for helping him land a spot on a college football team.
The Bears open the 2008 season Aug. 30 at home against West Virginia Tech.