Watson tosses another no-no

Published 4:03 pm Saturday, April 5, 2008

By By Steve Franklin, Sports Writer
It was just another day at the office for Charity Watson.
Well, sort of.
The Washington junior hurler struck out 18 batters — including four in the final inning — to record the 16th no-hitter of her career, as the Pam Pack pounded Havelock 9-0 on Friday night.
Watson used an overpowering rise ball to fan 18-of-the-24 Rams’ batters she faced.
Save for a hit batsman and a walk in the bottom of the sixth inning, the Pam Pack star pitcher was perfect.
While Watson stifled Rams’ hitters all night, the Washington offense used a little small ball to manufacture nine runs.
The Pam Pack got on the scoreboard in the first inning after Lauren Allen singled to center. She advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt by Kristi Wood. Following a walk to Marissa Fucito, Allen came home to score on an infield single by Lily Ann Arnold. One batter later, the Pack scored its second run of the inning on a suicide squeeze by Kayla Spain that scored Fucito.
After going down quietly in the second inning, the Pack again put up a two-spot in the third inning.
A leadoff double by Wood and a single by Fucito — who followed with a stolen base — put runners on first and second for Arnold.
The Pam Pack freshman dribbled a ball past Havelock pitcher Liz Krotz and hustled down the first base line, beating out the throw from Rams’ third baseman Nicole Roberts for an infield single, allowing Wood to score. Later in the inning, Fucito came home on an RBI groundout by Watson.
Washington added a run in the fourth inning to make it 5-0 after Wood singled to center, then stole second and raced all the way home after Havelock catcher Samantha Shipman’s throw sailed into center field.
The Lady Pack put the game away in the last half of the sixth with a four run outburst.
Wood started the inning with a single and Fucito followed with a double to again put runners on second and third for Arnold. This time, Arnold pushed a sac bunt to the pitcher, allowing Wood to cross the plate. Following an infield single by Spain, the Pam Pack got on the board again as Fucito scored on infield single by Watson.
The big blow of the inning came three batters later as outfielder Amber Alligood roped a single to center field that scored both Spain and Watson.
Wood paced the Lady Pack with three hits, while Fucito, Arnold, Alligood, and Brittany Moss each had a pair of hits.
The win was huge for Washington’s confidence. Early in the week, the Lady Pack (8-1) suffered its first defeat of the season to Coastal 8 rival New Bern.
The Pack will return to action on Tuesday evening when they take on West Carteret. And again, Watson will be ready to go.
Havelock 000 000 0 — 0 0 2
Washington 202 104 X — 9 14 0
WP: Charity Watson; LP: Liz Krotz
Hitters: H — None; W — Lauren Allen 1-5 (RUN), Kristi Wood 3-4 (2B, 3 RUNS), Brittany Moss 2-2, Marissa Fucito 2-2 (2B, 2 RUNS), Lily Ann Arnold 2-3 (2 RBI), Kayla Spain 1-2 (RBI, RUN), Charity Watson 1-4 (2 RBI), Amber Alligood 2-4 (2 RBI).