Roach armed and ready for training camp

Published 8:21 am Thursday, July 3, 2008

While most eyes this summer have been on Baltimore Ravens first-round draft pick Joe Flacco, fellow rookie quarterback Brad Roach wants to make sure coaches keep an eye on him during the upcoming training camp.
Roach, a free-agent rookie out of Catawba College, was invited to the team’s training camp at McDaniel College in Westminster, MD. The All-American quarterback and a former star at Williamston High School will report with other rookies and selected veterans on July 21.
Roach is glad he’ll be a part of it.
Roach, who threw for 7,874 yards and 62 touchdowns in his college career, is recently coming off a series of OTA’s (organized team activities).
The 6-6, 245-pound quarterback knows that was just to wet the whistle. He’s fully expecting a much more grueling schedule during training camp.
As he was getting familiar with life as an NFL football player, so too were his rookie teammates. Staying together in a hotel helped those players get to know one another.
One of his fellow rookies was Flacco, who is likely being groomed to be the starting quarterback. The 6-6, 235-pound quarterback out of Delaware was the 18th overall selection.
Because of the huge investment the Ravens made on him, Flacco is getting plenty of attention. Roach is trying to deal with that as best he can.
With three weeks remaining until he reports to camp, Roach doesn’t plan on sitting around and relaxing. Instead, he’ll be studying the playbook and keeping in shape while staying with his parents, Keith and Amy Roach, in Washington.
While veteran Kyle Boller and second-year player Troy Smith have some NFL experience under their belts, all the quarterbacks are learning a new offensive system.
Kyle and Troy are good guys. They seem to be good leaders. They are good ones to learn from.”
Roach will get his initial taste of training camp with the first of two practices on July 22.
The Ravens will get their first test of the preseason Aug. 7 at New England. Kickoff is set for 7:30 p.m.
Roach is already looking forward to playing the Patriots.
What will Roach be thinking when he steps on the field in New England?
Baltimore will play host to the Minnesota Vikings on Aug. 16, play at St. Louis on Aug. 23 and then play host to Atlanta on Aug. 28.
Roach knows there is a lot at stake every time he steps on the field, whether it’s during the preseason games or during camp.
Roach is excited about his opportunity.