Thompson leads Pam Pack past Falcons

Published 2:46 am Saturday, October 4, 2008

WINTERVILLE — It seemed that every bounce, bobble and break went against Washington, but the Pam Pack persevered in rallying past South Central, 26-20.
Austin Thompson threw three touchdown passes, two of them to Dakuan Spencer, and the Pack defense had two goal line stands in the fourth quarter in this Coastal Conference clash, coming on a cool Friday evening at Falcon Stadium. The win was Washington’s second in a row, both coming on the road.
Washington (4-2, 2-0) was down early as the Falcons (3-3, 0-2) took a 14-0 lead just 6:44 into the contest. However, the Pack rallied with 26 consecutive points to take command.
After not generating much offense, the Pack got a much-needed score with less than a minute to play in the second quarter. Thompson, connecting with Spencer on a 16-yard hookup one play earlier, found a wide-open Tony Turnage for a 35-yard scoring strike. Justin Meekins uncharacteristically missed the PAT, leaving the Falcons with a 14-6 lead.
South Central had taken the 14-0 lead on a 2-yard run by Tremaine Anderson and a 58-yard punt return from Russell McCormick.
Getting the ball to start the half, Washington marched down the field and pulled within 14-12 on a 2-yard burst by freshman Kaschief Foreman (12 carries, 60 yards).
Turnage (eight carries, 67 yards) set the tone with a flashy 19-yard run on the first play of the drive. A failed 2-point conversion attempt kept South Central ahead by two points.
The touchdown ended a five-game, third-quarter scoreless drought for Washington.
The Falcons moved deep into Washington territory on the ensuing drive, but it stalled when linebacker Weasel Moore stuffed Falcon quarterback Ethan Cochran for a yard loss on a fourth-down play.
Three plays later, the Pack took the lead for good. Thompson (8 of 14 for 184 yards, three TDs), facing a blitz from the Falcons, dumped the ball to Spencer. The speedy junior did the rest, breaking away from the South Central defenders for an 80-yard touchdown. Meekins booted the PAT for a 19-14 lead.
The Falcons were mounting a drive, but Pack lineman Cedrik Summers pounced on a fumble, the third by South Central in the drive and the sixth overall.
Washington quickly capitalized. Following a 38-yard run by Turnage, Thompson rolled to his right and found Spencer all alone in the end zone for a 7-yard score. Meekins tacked on the PAT for a 26-14 cushion.
South Central got within the Washington 5-yard line twice in the final minutes, but the defense stood its ground.
South Central closed out the scoring on the game’s final play, a meaningless 58-yard toss from Montrell McCotter (20 carries, 111 yards) to Cameron Brice.
Washington is home next Friday night against No. 6 West Craven (7-0, 2-0). It will be homecoming for the Pack.
Washington South Central
13 First Downs 15
32-155 Rushes-Yards 42-160
184 Passing Yards 144
14-8-0 Pass-Comp-Int 19-8-0
7-39.2 Punting 5-32.8
1-1 Fumbles-Lost 6-2
5-45 Penalties 2-25
Washington 0 6 13 7 — 26
D.H. Conley 14 0 0 6 — 20
Scoring Summary
SC – Tremaine Anderson 2 run (Michael Anderson kick), 7:20, 1st
SC – Russell McCormick 58 punt return (Anderson kick), 5:16, 1st
W – Austin Thompson 35 pass to Tony Turnage (kick failed), 0:54, 2nd
W – Kaschief Foreman 2 run (run failed), 8:40, 3rd
W – Thompson 80 pass to Dakuan Spencer (Justin Meekins kick), 4:22, 3rd
W – Thompson 7 pass to Spencer (Meekins kick), 7:42, 4th
SC – Montrell McCotter 58 pass to Cameron Brice (no PAT), 0:00, 4th