No luck for Irish as No. 22 UNC holds on for win

Published 4:09 am Sunday, October 12, 2008

By By AARON BEARD, AP Sports Writer
CHAPEL HILL — North Carolina started the second half with an interception return for a touchdown and sealed the game with a last-second fumble recovery. In between the Tar Heels did just enough to beat Notre Dame for the first time in a generation.
Cameron Sexton scored on a leaping 4-yard keeper to start the fourth quarter and Quan Sturdivant had the momentum-changing 32-yard interception return to help the No. 22 Tar Heels beat the Fighting Irish 29-24 on Saturday, providing another boost to coach Butch Davis’ rebuilding effort.
The Tar Heels (5-1), off to their best start since going 8-0 in 1997, beat the Fighting Irish (4-2) for the first time since 1960.
Hakeem Nicks had nine catches for 141 yards and freshman walk-on Casey Barth kicked three field goals, helping North Carolina rally from an 11-point first-half deficit.
The Tar Heels’ offense failed to reach the end zone in the first half while their defense struggled to slow Jimmy Clausen and the Notre Dame passing game. But their knack for forcing turnovers — four after halftime — was enough to help them hang on in a game that came down to a wild finish.
North Carolina came in ranked for the first time in seven years, and playing at home as a ranked team for the first time in a decade, a sign of how badly things have gone since Mack Brown departed for Texas after the ’97 season.
It was also Notre Dame’s first game in the state of North Carolina since unheralded sophomore Joe Montana led a comeback win here in 1975.
The teams certainly provided a memorable finish, with Notre Dame reaching the North Carolina 7 in the final seconds before officials ruled — after a review — that receiver Michael Floyd fumbled the ball in what appeared to be a frantic attempted lateral. Trimane Goddard recovered, giving the ball back to North Carolina for a joyous kneel-down with 3 seconds left.
Clausen threw for a career-best 383 yards — his third straight career game — and touchdowns to Golden Tate and Floyd that helped the Irish take a 17-9 halftime lead.
Notre Dame finished with 472 yards, but couldn’t overcome two interceptions and two lost fumbles in the second half.
The Tar Heels went most of the way without big-play receiver and returner Brandon Tate, who sprained his right knee in the first quarter. Nicks picked up the slack with another big day against the Irish after tallying six catches for 171 yards and a score against them two years ago in South Bend. Converted safety Shaun Draughn added his second straight solid game, finishing with 91 yards rushing on 17 carries.
Sexton, the one-time third stringer filling in for injured starter T.J. Yates, threw for 201 yards. But he made his biggest play with his feet, scrambling right on third down and jumping through a hit from Kyle McCarthy at the goal line for the 29-24 lead with 14:55 to play.
Clausen looked sharp most of the day behind a line that gave him plenty of time. But the sophomore made three costly second-half mistakes.
It started when Sturdivant jumped in front of Kyle Rudolph for the pick on Clausen’s first pass. The 32-yard return cut the deficit to 17-16. Later in the period, Aleric Mullins stripped Clausen and recovered the fumble to set up the go-ahead drive. Then, after the Irish had driven to North Carolina’s 36 with about 5 minutes left, Deunta Williams picked off Clausen on the right side to set up a drive that took 3 minutes off the clock.
North Carolina — which came into the game leading the nation with 12 interceptions — also recovered a fumbled kickoff late in the first half and did not committ a turnover.
Once Notre Dame got the ball back at its own 18 with 1:47 to play, Clausen guided one more drive, pushing to the North Carolina 33 with 11 seconds left before finding Floyd over the middle on what turned out to be the Irish’s final play.
No. 22 NORTH CAROLINA 29, NOTRE DAME 24
Notre Dame 7 10 7 0 — 24
North Carolina 3 6 13 7 — 29
First Quarter
ND—Tate 19 pass from Clausen (B.Walker kick), 10:27.
NC—FG Barth 41, 2:49.
Second Quarter
ND—FG B.Walker 42, 12:53.
NC—FG Barth 34, 5:22.
ND—Floyd 7 pass from Clausen (B.Walker kick), :52.
NC—FG Barth 42, :09.
Third Quarter
NC—Sturdivant 32 interception return (Barth kick), 14:48.
ND—Aldridge 2 run (B.Walker kick), 10:43.
NC—Houston 1 run (pass failed), 5:14.
Fourth Quarter
NC—Sexton 4 run (Barth kick), 14:55.
A—60,500.
ND NC
First downs 27 21
Rushes-yards 30-89 32-121
Passing 383 201
Comp-Att-Int 31-48-2 18-32-0
Return Yards 0 49
Punts-Avg. 1-35.0 4-38.0
Fumbles-Lost 4-3 1-0
Penalties-Yards 4-33 7-55
Time of Possession 33:05 26:55
INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS
RUSHING—Notre Dame, Allen 11-60, Aldridge 4-23, Hughes 4-12, Clausen 11-(minus 6). North Carolina, Draughn 17-91, Houston 8-28, Little 2-7, Sexton 3-(minus 2), Team 2-(minus 3).
PASSING—Notre Dame, Clausen 31-48-2-383. North Carolina, Sexton 18-32-0-201.
RECEIVING—Notre Dame, Allen 7-47, Floyd 6-93, Tate 5-121, Kamara 5-58, Grimes 4-19, Rudolph 3-30, Hughes 1-15. North Carolina, Nicks 9-141, Foster 3-28, Arnold 2-3, Ri.Quinn 1-15, Pianalto 1-5, Thornton 1-5, Elzy 1-4.