Pack rams Havelock in ‘Fame’ game

Published 7:41 am Saturday, November 1, 2008

By Staff
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
Havelock’s offensive players might have thought the Pam Pack defense all dressed up in No. 45 jerseys for Halloween. Washington’s No. 45, Chase Tripp, was scary good as he seemed to be everywhere Friday night.
Tripp finished with 16 tackles, including a pair of sacks and a huge fourth-down stop, while also recovering a fumble on offense in Washington’s 21-14 victory over the Havelock Rams.
Tripp was all smiles as he limped off the field at J.G. “Choppy” Wagner Stadium.
Washington’s (6-4, 4-2 Coastal Conference) fourth straight win over the Rams (8-2, 5-1) was extra special as it came on Walk of Fame night. Steve Hendrickson, Larry Dixon, Harold Jackson and the 1988 women’s track team were inducted into the prestigious Walk of Fame during a special ceremony.
The group was treated to some early Pam Pack highlights. Dakuan Spencer (14 carries, 90 yards, 2 TDs; 2 catches, 21 yards) scored on Washington’s first offensive play. The junior took an option pitch from quarterback Austin Thompson, busted it up the middle, cut to his left and then raced untouched 52 yards for the score. Justin Meekins tacked on the first of his three PATs for a 7-0 lead.
Spencer scored on a 1-yard plunge, his 12th overall touchdown this season, in the second quarter to make it 14-7. When freshman fullback Kaschief Foreman went out with a possible concussion in the first half, Spencer had to step up his game.
Spencer was happier with the win than his touchdowns.
Spencer’s second score was set up after Tripp came up with a defensive gem when Havelock went for the trick on Halloween night. Faced with a fourth-and-inches, Havelock quarterback/punter Danny Webster Jr. tried to sneak the ball for the first down, but Tripp stuffed the sophomore in his tracks.
Webster, a talented sophomore who also plays defensive back, praised the Pack in defeat.
The Pack scored what proved to be the winning points when Thompson (9-of-15, 86 yards, TD) hit Mike Moore with a 6-yard touchdown toss on a comeback route, coming with 31 seconds to play in the first half. Thompson scooted 16 yards for a first down to help set up the score.
It was too much to overcome for the Rams, who saw their eight-game winning streak come to a half. Havelock, which got 135 yards on 18 carries from Mike Henderson, still has plenty to play for this year. Coach Jim Bob Bryant’s team can win the Coastal Conference championship with a win over West Craven next week.
Webster had a 1-yard touchdown pass to Andrew McCamish in the first quarter, then scored on a 1-yard sneak on the first play of the fourth quarter to make it 21-14.
Washington had a chance to pad its lead in the final four minutes, but Havelock blocked two field goal attempts by Meekins — a 41-yard try with 3:50 to play and a 32-yarder with 1:54 remaining.
Turnage knocked down a desperation fourth-down pass by Webster after the first blocked field goal.
The Pack caught a break on the second block. A Havelock player touched the ball as it rolled toward the Washington end zone, and a Washington player pounced on it, giving the Pack the ball at the Havelock 3-yard line. Washington ran out the clock to end the game.
Washington closes out the regular season next Friday night at home against West Carteret.
Havelock Washington
14 First Downs 18
35-176 Rushes-Yards 40-185
63 Passing Yards 86
22-9-0 Pass-Comp-Int 15-9-0
5-33.4 Punting 4-32.8
2-1 Fumbles-Lost 2-0
7-56 Penalties 11-103
Havelock 7 0 0 7 — 14
Washington 7 14 0 0 — 21
Scoring Summary
W – Dakuan Spencer 52 run (Justin Meekins kick), 10:14, 1st
H – Danny Webster Jr. 1 pass to Andrew McCamish (Tylor Cooper kick), 7:07, 1st
W – Spencer 1 run (Meekins kick), 4:33, 2nd
W – Austin Thompson 6 pass to Mike Moore (Meekins kick), 0:31, 2nd
H – Webster 1 run (Cooper kick), 11:53, 4th