Daily News nets 10 state press awards
RALEIGH —Washington Daily News staff was on hand in Raleigh on Thursday for the annual North Carolina Press Association Winter Convention, and brought home a total of 10 state press awards in a variety of categories.
“Congratulations to our award-winning staff,” Daily News Publisher Ashley Vansant said. “I’m proud to see our talented team once again recognized among the top journalists in the state of North Carolina.”
The Daily News competes in the D Division alongside other daily newspapers with circulations of 12,500 or less. For their work in 2018, the staff earned myriad awards for photography, design, editorial content and the special publications the staff produces throughout the year.
These awards included:
- 1st Place — Photo Page — Ashley Vansant — Hurricane Florence
- 1st Place — Special Section — Staff — Gridiron Guide, Profile, Welcome
- 1st Place — Best Niche Publication — Elizabeth Reed — Washington the Magazine
- 1st Place — Features Section Design — Staff
- 2nd Place — Arts and Entertainment Reporting — Vail Stewart Rumley
- 2nd Place — News Section Design — Elizabeth Reed
- 2nd Place — Editorials — Vail Stewart Rumley
- 3rd Place — Editorial Page — Staff
- 3rd Place — Editorials — Matt Debnam
- 3rd Place — Illustration/Photo Illustration/Graphics — Elizabeth Reed
In addition to the awards banquet Thursday evening, staff members also participated in educational sessions regarding open government and political fact checking, learning new techniques and information to help better serve WDN readers.
“It’s an honor for the work of the Washington Daily News to be celebrated by the North Carolina Press Association, but a greater honor still to serve our readers and community,” Vansant concluded.
Since 1999, the Purpose of God Annex has helped Beaufort County residents both young and old find new opportunities and... read more