Goddard anxious to return to the field

Published 4:20 pm Thursday, March 22, 2007

By Staff
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
The practice field isn’t exactly the favorite place to be for athletes. However, Trimane Goddard couldn’t wait to get on the field Monday with his North Carolina Tar Heels’ teammates for the first day of spring drills.
Goddard, a former standout at Roanoke High School, missed all of last season with a broken foot.
That meant no games, no practices and no fun for the defensive back. Goddard could only stand on the sideline and cheer on his teammates during a 2006 football season that saw the Tar Heels go 3-9.
Goddard broke the fifth metatarsal in his left foot during drills last summer. He had actually broken the same foot earlier in the year and was just getting back to practicing with his teammates.
He’s got a new hunger, and a new position, this year. The junior will switch from strong safety to free safety.
Another adjustment Goddard will have to make is playing for a new coach. Butch Davis replaced John Bunting as the head coach.
The first spring practice under Davis was a good one.
Goddard and his teammates will put on the pads for the first time on Friday.
The team will hold its annual spring game on April 14.
Goddard, who led the Tar Heels in 2005 with three interceptions to go with 53 tackles, good for fifth best on the team, is hoping that fun carries over throughout the season.
The Tar Heels open the season Sept. 1 at home against James Madison.
North Carolina will play at East Carolina on Sept. 8. Goddard is happy for the chance to play close to home.
He’s also anticipating a battle with the Pirates.
While he would enjoy coming up with as many interceptions as he can, Goddard’s main goal is to just stay on the field for the whole season.