Wilson tries to maintain focus

Published 5:49 pm Saturday, March 31, 2007

By Staff
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
GREENVILLE — C.J. Wilson joined his fellow East Carolina Pirates’ football players for the second scrimmage of the spring.
However, the sophomore defensive end did so with a heavy heart. Wilson, whose birthday was Friday, got a rude awakening early in the morning. He was informed that his father, Amos Wilson, had been rushed to the hospital because of a medical condition.
Wilson was relieved later in the day when his father called him.
Wilson had reservations about attending Friday’s scrimmage at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium, but was encouraged by his father to play.
Wilson ended up having a solid scrimmage as he finished with two sacks.
Though currently listed behind Marcus Hands on the depth chart, the 6-4, 265-pound Wilson said he’s not satisfied with a back-up role.
Happy Holtz
The Pirates ran 135 plays during Friday’s scrimmage, the second of the season for the Pirates. Head coach Skip Holtz walked off Bagwell Field relatively pleased.
After concentrating on the run in the team’s first scrimmage, the Pirates mixed things up on Friday.
After 11 practices, including two scrimmages, Holtz sees some positives.
Whitley shines
Freshman running back Norman Whitley, listed as a third-string running back, had a big day in Friday’s scrimmage. The 5-9, 185-pounder ran for 233 yards and three scores. He didn’t take credit for his success.
Whitley said he believes his team is getter better each day in every facet of the game.
Whitley said the key to the team’s success will be taking care of the football.
Sophomore quarterback Rob Kass led the offense to some early success. The 6-4, 250-pounder said the Pirates will look for continued improvement as the spring season rolls along.
Four more to go
The Pirates have four more practices to go to wrap up the spring season.
ECU will practice in pads Monday and Wednesday before taking a week off. The Pirates will then return to the practice field April 11.
The spring session will end Saturday, April 14, with the annual Purple-Gold Spring Game at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium. Kickoff is set for 3 p.m.