Whitehead a big hit for Pam Pack

Published 7:36 am Sunday, June 17, 2007

By By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
Trent Whitehead put up some big numbers the previous two years.
Still, the Washington High School standout wasn’t satisfied. He altered his approach at the plate, thanks to instruction from head coach Darin Vaughan, and it paid off handsomely.
After hitting .375 in his sophomore and junior seasons, Whitehead added 100 points to that as he finished his senior campaign with an astounding .475 average.
What makes it all the more impressive, Whitehead, Washington’s leadoff batter, accomplished the feat against some tough Class 4-A and 3-A competition that included the likes of J.H. Rose, D.H. Conley and South Central.
Because of his prowess at the plate, Whitehead was named the Washington Daily News’ Hitter of the Year.
Whitehead, named to the WDN All-Area Baseball First Team for the third consecutive year, was happy with his play this season.
Whitehead credits his parents, A.G. and Karen Whitehead, for their never-ending support in helping him pursue his goals.
As he prepares for Division I baseball with the East Carolina Pirates, Whitehead is playing in a wooden bat league this summer with the Cubs.
Whitehead also had the chance to be an East representative for the State Games in Greensboro. He went 2-for-6 in the series. The East won two of the three games over the West.
While he said he enjoyed his career at Washington, Whitehead is eager to join the Pirates.
Whitehead is setting some lofty goals.