Lee voted WDN Female Athlete of the Year

Published 8:05 am Tuesday, June 19, 2007

By By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
YEATESVILLE — Suzanne Lee had a year to remember.
The Northside High School standout started her senior year by being named the Washington Daily News’ Volleyball Player of the Year. Lee followed that up by earning honorable mention on the WDN All-Area basketball team. She capped it off by winning her third consecutive WDN Female Track Athlete of the Year award.
Lee was named the Most Valuable Player by her coaches in all three sports. She was voted Northside’s Female Athlete of the Year for the second year in a row.
Along the way, Lee kept up with her grades, accumulating a 3.9 GPA.
Oh, and to add some icing to the cake, Lee was voted homecoming queen.
Even with all her success this season, the always-humble Lee was stunned to hear she would be receiving another honor — the Panther star was named the 2007 Washington Daily News’ Female Athlete of the Year.
Lee’s athletic career doesn’t stop here. She’ll be competing at the Division I level with the East Carolina Pirates next year.
Lee, who capped off her high school athletic career by winning a fourth-place medal in the 300-meter hurdles at the state meet, credited her coaches for her success.
Lee’s coaches were equally complimentary of her.
Under Woolard’s guidance, Lee qualified to the state meet this season in the 300-meter hurdles, 100-meter hurdles and high jump. She won the conference and regional championships in the 300-meter hurdle event.
She was a co-captain on Northside’s basketball team where she was among the team leaders in scoring, rebounds and steals.
Under Oliver’s tutelage in volleyball, Lee led the Panthers in spikes and blocks.
Lee, the daughter of Larry and Beth Lee, became reminiscent as she reflected on her four years at Northside.
She’s ready to start the next chapter of her life. Lee, who earned a Prospective Teacher’s Scholarship, will study elementary education at ECU while also competing with the Pirates’ track team.
So, too, are her coaches.
After all, it’s not easy to replace an athlete of the year.