Four players earn all-state softball honors

Published 1:22 pm Sunday, July 15, 2007

The awards continue to pile up for Washington’s hard-throwing Charity Watson.
The rising Pam Pack junior was one of four area players named to the North Carolina Fastpitch Softball Coaches Association All-State team.
She was joined on the Class 3-A team by battery mate Taylor Rogers.
Williamston’s Heather Jackson and Elizabeth Ange of Jamesville were named to the 1-A team.
Watson, who was named the Washington Daily News’ Softball Pitcher of the Year for the second straight year, went 16-3 in her sophomore season. She recorded 13 shutouts and struck out 231 batters.
Two of her wins were perfect games. Watson retired each batter she faced in a 3-0 win over J.H. Rose, striking out 11 in the process. Later in the season, Watson recorded a perfect game in a 6-0 win over West Carteret when she fanned 15 batters.
Watson added five no-hitters to her totals, giving her 12 for her career.
She had a season-best 19 strikeouts in a 1-0 win in 14 innings against New Bern.
Rogers, the Pam Pack’s catcher, was also named to the all-state team. While the recent WHS graduate struggled a bit at the plate, Rogers was fantastic behind the plate. She helped Watson throw her two perfect games and her handful of no-hitters.
Rogers was adept at blocking pitches and her powerful right arm kept runners from trying to steal on her. She also made a bevy of sensational catches and put-outs from her catcher’s position.
Ange led the Jamesville Bullets back into the playoffs this year. She went 11-2 on the year, walking just 12 batters — five intentionally — all season.
Ange added some pop with her bat, finishing the season with a .400 batting average.
Jackson was a solid shortstop all season for the Tigers. She led Williamston with a .378 batting average, while driving in 10 and scoring 17 times.
Both Ange and Jackson were named to the Daily News’ All-Area First Team.