Clemmons honors father in first game

Published 1:48 am Thursday, September 20, 2007

By Staff
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
After all the sweat, tears and blood he gave up just to be on the scout team, N.C. State sophomore defensive tackle Jamaine Clemmons finally got the taste of a live Division I college football game.
It’s a sweet taste he won’t soon forget.
Clemmons, a former standout at Williamston High School, played in his first college game when the Wolfpack played at Boston College on Sept. 8. He played 29 snaps during the 37-17 loss.
The 5-11, 270-pound Clemmons, who wears No. 90, paid tribute to his father, Milton, during the game.
Milton Clemmons died of a heart attack when Jamaine was just 12.
Clemmons, who had a chance to play baseball at Elizabeth City State University but opted for football at State instead, said his father would have been proud.
Clemmons got the chance to play against Boston College when a couple regulars went down with injuries. The mechanical engineering major made the most of his opportunity.
Clemmons’ effort earned him more playing time in the Wolfpack’s 38-17 win over Wofford at Carter-Finley Stadium last week. He was credited with an assist and was in on nearly 30 snaps.
Clemmons’ mother, Betty Clemmons of Williamston, was on hand for the victory. He credits his mother for helping him stay focused.
Helping to get the Wolfpack (1-2, 0-1 ACC) into the win column was special for Clemmons.
The Wolfpack will need that swagger when it plays host to No. 15 Clemson (3-0, 1-0 ACC) at noon on Saturday.
Clemmons, who said he’s put on some 20 pounds of muscle and lost 10 pounds of fat since he’s been at State, wants to see action in that game and the others that follow.
Though not looking ahead, Clemmons does relish the thought of playing at Dowdy-Ficklen Stadium when the Wolfpack plays the East Carolina Pirates on Oct. 20.
While happy that he is seeing playing time, Clemmons isn’t about to slack off now.
Yes, Jamaine, your father would be proud.