Crowd, Daniels equally impressive on Friday night

Published 2:41 am Monday, September 24, 2007

By Staff
Commentary by KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
If Travis Daniels keeps this up, he’s going to sprint his way right into the Walk of Fame.
Daniels had another spectacular Friday night in helping to lead the Washington Pam Pack to a 35-0 win over the D.H. Conley Vikings.
Daniels needs just 11 yards in this Friday’s Walk of Fame game to crack the 1,000-yard mark for the third consecutive season. By running over and away from defenders, whether it’s with a dizzying spin or a nifty juke, the Pam Pack senior has racked up 989 yards and 12 touchdowns on just 103 carries. That’s a ridiculous 9.6 yards-per-carry average.
The Pam Pack senior would easily have reached the 1,000-yard plateau by now, but he’s missed about four quarters of football this season. Coach Sport Sawyer has kept his workhorse on the sideline when his team was comfortably ahead in the fourth quarter of games this year.
Speaking of Sawyer, he can even his overall record at Washington with a home win over South Central (0-5, 0-1 Coastal Conference) this Friday night. In his fourth season with the Pam Pack, Sawyer is 20-21.
That includes a 4-1 slate (1-0 Coastal Conference record) this season. He has the Pack off to its best start since the 2005 campaign, when Washington started off 5-1. (The Pack finished with a 7-5 record.)
A key reason behind Washington’s success this season, other than the running of Daniels, has been a stingy defense under the direction of coordinator Jon Blank. The Pack, which recorded its first shutout Friday night since a 34-0 win over North Pitt in the 2006 season opener, has given up just 53 points all season.
Players like Cody Cunningham, Chase Tripp, Tony Turnage and Jamont Jones have been nothing short of spectacular.
And sophomore linebacker Justin “Weasel” Moore played the game of his young career against the Vikings, coming up with a dozen tackles. He was especially impressive on special teams.
Just as impressive was Friday night’s crowd. I’ve never seen J.G. “Choppy” Wagner Stadium that packed. I know the players and coaching staff appreciated the unbelievable support. There was definitely a “12th man” advantage out there.
AREA TEAMS
In taking a quick look at other area teams, Roanoke was the lone Atlantic Conference team to win in conference play. (All games pitting Atlantic Conference teams against Albemarle Conference teams count toward conference games. Don’t ask me why.)
The Redskins play host to the No. 5-ranked and unbeaten Plymouth Vikings (5-0, 1-0 Albemarle Conference) this Friday in what has to be the game of the night.
Northside and Southside are still having trouble finding the end zone. Both teams were shut out Friday night for the third time this season. Jamal Satchell did have a nice game for the Seahawks with 70 yards rushing in a 22-0 loss at Camden.
Jamesville’s win over Creswell in last Friday’s Tideland Conference clash could open the door to a fourth straight conference title for the Bullets.
Lautez Clayton had another solid game for Mattamuskeet in a 23-6 win over Columbia. The Wildcats, who have had to forfeit two games this year, finished the game with just nine players.
COPPER ON TV
Hometown product Terrance Copper, a former standout at Washington High School and ECU, will be on television tonight when his New Orleans Saints play host to the Tennessee Titans on Monday Night Football.
Though the Saints are off to an 0-2 start, Copper said the team isn’t ready to push the panic button.
Copper, who saw lots of action at receiver last year, has one catch for six yards this season. Playing mainly on special teams to start the season, he believes he’ll get more snaps at receiver as the season progresses.
—–
Kevin Travis is the sports editor of the Washington Daily News. You may reach him at 940-4217, or by e-mail at Kevin@wdnweb.com. You may also view his blog, KT’s Take On Sports, at http://wdnsports.blogspot.com.