Pam Pack tops Chargers

Published 4:01 pm Thursday, December 6, 2007

Daquan Daniels erupted for 33 points and the Washington Pam Pack withstood a ferocious charge by Ayden-Grifton in claiming a 64-55 victory Wednesday evening.
The Pack (4-0) remained unbeaten on the year with its fourth consecutive victory. This one may have been the most impressive as the Chargers went to the regional finals last year.
The Pack was up by as many as 14 points, 52-38, late in the third. However, Matt Dougherty, who led Ayden-Grifton with 22 points, led a spirited comeback. Even with a bum ankle, which he had taped at halftime after twisting it in the second quarter, Dougherty scored eight straight during an 11-0 run that pulled the Chargers within 52-49.
Dakuan Spencer stopped Washington’s scoring drought by splitting two free throws with 3:53 to play, giving the Pack a four-point lead.
Steffen McGhee, who had 21 for the Chargers, made it a one-point game at 55-54 after converting a three-point play.
Rodney Cogdell muscled his way inside for an easy layup for the Pack to regain some momentum.
That 4-0 mark wasn’t ensured until Derrick Mallison and Daniels hit some clutch free throws down the stretch.
Daniels got the Pack off on the right foot with 11 first-quarter points. However, McGhee scored 10 in the period to help give the Chargers a 20-15 lead.
The Pack defense tightened in the second as Washington outscored the Chargers 20-4 to grab a 37-24 halftime advantage. Jamaal Rouse buried a pair of early 3-pointers to spark the Pack, including one that gave Washington a 21-20 lead.
Two trifectas by Daniels and one by Mallison capped a 9-0 spurt to end the half, giving Washington the 13-point lead.
Dougherty heated up in the third for the Chargers, scoring 10 of his points that helped get his team within 52-41.
Lawrence stuck Dakuan Spencer on Dougherty in the final minutes and the sophomore did a nice job in not allowing Dougherty to go wild.
The Pack returns to action Tuesday night at home against D.H. Conley. It will be the Coastal Conference opener for the Pam Pack.
Lawrence and his players are taking the same approach they’ve taken all season.
Pack girls fall
Washington’s comeback came up a little short as the Pam Pack girls fell 52-47 to Ayden-Grifton.
Birthday-girl Davey Ann Burbage had 13 points and 11 rebounds for the Pam Pack (3-3), including five straight points at one stretch that pulled the Pack within 45-40 with 3:45 to play.
The Chargers were able to push their lead to 10 points and then hung on for the victory.
Harmony Simpkins added 13 points for Washington. Sam Smith, who had to sit with early foul trouble, managed six points and 17 rebounds.
Teairra Johnson paced the Chargers with 15 points.
Ayden-Grifton jumped out to a 6-0 lead and the Chargers went up by as many as eight in the first quarter. Consecutive layups by Simpkins and Hayley Stowe trimmed the Pack deficit to four, 14-10.
Washington got as close as two points in the second quarter at 23-21 on a floater by Simpkins.
A three-point play by Johnson late in the third enabled the Chargers to increase their lead to 10. It was still a 10-point game in the fourth, 38-28, when Burbage tried to rally her team. She hit a jumper, a free throw and got inside for a layup to pull the Pack within 45-40, but the Chargers were able to stave off the late rally.
Ayden-Grifton 20 4 17 14 — 55
Washington 15 22 15 12 — 64
AYDEN-GRIFTON (55)
Matt Dougherty 22, Steffen McGhee 21, Gay 6, Atkinson 4, Pipkin 2, Rodriguez 0.
WASHINGTON (64)
Daquan Daniels 33, Cogdell 8, Cox 7, Rouse 6, Mallison 6, Spencer 4, Moore, Griffin, Godley.
Girls
Ayden-Grifton 14 13 9 16 — 52
Washington 10 11 7 19 — 47
AYDEN-GRIFTON (52)
Teairra Johnson 15, Williams 9, Hyman 9, Jones 8, Crandell 5, West 4, Ebron 2.
WASHINGTON (47)
Davey Ann Burbage 13, Harmony Simpkins 13, Stowe 6, Smith 6, Cox 4, Batchelor 2, Weatherington 2, Grice 1, Palmer, Tackett.