Cody named WDN Coach of the Year

Published 12:01 am Monday, January 14, 2008

By By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
PLYMOUTH — After a 23-year pursuit of prep football’s highest honor, Plymouth coach Robert Cody doesn’t have to chase his dream anymore. Now, he can simply admire it every time he walks past the trophy case at Plymouth High School.
Thanks to a 20-13 win over North Duplin in the N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1-A state championship game, the Vikings’ skipper has quenched a thirst that has spanned over two decades.
Cody’s Vikings not only finished the season with a state title, but an Albemarle Conference championship and a perfect 16-0 record.
Cody’s winning streak didn’t end with his win over the Rebels. The Washington Daily News has added a little icing to that cake as it has named Cody the WDN Coach of the Area for the second straight season.
It’s been over a month since Plymouth obtained prep glory, but the buzz has not worn off for the people of Plymouth or the Vikings’ head coach.
While the fans have savored the championship, Cody said it was the chase to the title that was special to him.
Like a good action flick, the events that led up to the final scene can sometimes be more memorable than the actual showdown at the end of the movie. The last battle also signifies that the end is near; there are no more plot twists, just wrapping up loose ends. As the clock wound down in the fourth quarter of the state title game, Cody new the credits would soon be scrolling down the screen.
Every thriller has a nemesis the main character must overcome an for the Viking that villain’s name was Jones Senior.
The Trojans put an end to Plymouth’s run at a state title in 2006 by handing the Vikings a heart-wrenching 16-14 loss in the second round of the playoffs. Down 16-14 with under a minute left in the game, the Vikings had marched down the field and were knocking on the goal line when a last-second fumble allowed their season to slip away.
There would be no fumble this year, just a 54-0 reminder that the Vikings never forgot how their season ended a year ago.
Winning the state title aside, Cody said the win over the Trojans was the highlight of the season.
The final battle has been fought and won and, after a 23-year climb towards a climax, the man who has stood on the sidelines of Plymouth High School for so long making tough decision after tough decision has one more to make. Cody must decide if he is ready to come back and star in the sequel or ride out into the sunset. In true Hollywood fashion, Cody left fans with a suspenseful cliffhanger.
Stay tuned.