Former area stars shining overseas

Published 5:47 am Tuesday, February 12, 2008

By By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
Elton Coffield is averaging 24.2 points for the BSW Sixers. The former Williamston standout is leading his team’s division in the German basketball league.
Joseph Barber poured in 30 points for the Derby Trailblazers in a 113-76 loss to the Manchester Magic in England basketball Sunday.
Barber, a former standout at Terra Ceia, and the rest of the Trailblazers play the Bristol Academy Flyers on Saturday.
COLLEGE BASKETBALL
Danny Wilson has played in 27 games, starting 25 of them, for the Longwood Lancers. The former Northside High School standout is averaging 3.5 points and 3.2 rebounds per game. Wilson is hitting 46.7 percent from the floor and 68.6 percent at the foul line. The Lancers (6-21) play Wednesday at Campbell in Buies Creek. Tip off is set for 7 p.m.
Washington native Joe Davis is playing with the United States Merchant Marine Academy. Davis has appeared in nine games for the Mariners (10-12) and is averaging 1.3 points and 1.9 rebounds.
The Mariners play host to Susquehanna University on Saturday.
Hunter Johnson has started six games and played in all 19 for the Meredith College Avenging Angels. The former Pungo star is averaging 3.9 points and 3.3 rebounds. Johnson is hitting 51.6 percent from the floor and 68.8 percent at the foul line. Meredith (5-14) plays at Averett on Thursday.
Whitney Stokes has played in 20 games for the Elizabeth City Vikings this season. The former Plymouth star, a three-time Daily News’ Player of the Year, is averaging 2.5 points and 1.8 rebounds for the Vikings. Elizabeth City (11-12) plays host to Saint Augustine’s on Thursday.
Stephanie Holton has appeared in 12 games for the Shenandoah University basketball team this year. The freshman, a former star at Columbia High School, is averaging 2.3 points and 1.0 rebounds per game. The Hornets (8-11) play host to Mary Baldwin on Thursday.
Deborah Satterthwaite has appeared in eight games for the Chowan Hawks (6-17) this season. The former Northside standout is averaging 1.8 points and 1.0 rebounds per game. Chowan plays host to Newport News Apprentice tonight.
COLLEGE BASEBALL
Anthony Williams is off to a hot start at Mount Olive College. The former Williamston standout is hitting .360 for the Trojans (6-1). Williams, who plays second base, has nine hits, scored eight runs, stolen two bases and has driven in three runs. Mount Olive plays a doubleheader at Wingate on Wednesday.
A pair of former Williamston High School standouts, outfielder J.J. House and pitcher Styron Barfield, are playing at Elizabeth City State University. The Vikings open the season Wednesday at The Apprentice School in Virginia.
Former Plymouth standout Brant West is pitching at Davidson College this season. The Wildcats open the season Feb. 22 at home against Radford.
COLLEGE SOFTBALL
Meredith Knox is playing third base for the Anderson Trojans. In two series, Knox was hitting .400.
Anderson (0-6) plays a doubleheader at home Wednesday against Lenoir-Rhyne.
Mika Gurganus, a former standout at Williamston, is playing shortstop at Barton College. The Bulldogs open the season Thursday at home against N.C. Central.
Franchesa Pittman is hitting .222 on the young season for the N.C. Central Eagles. The former Plymouth star, who is the catcher for the Eagles, has a double among her two hits. The Eagles (0-4) play a doubleheader at Barton on Thursday.
Nicole Jordan, a former standout at Jamesville, is playing second base for the Pitt Community Bulldogs, who are off to a 2-2 start. Pitt plays Aiken Tech tournament this weekend.
Former Northside standout Donieca Ebron and former Williamston standout Dominique Mills are playing softball at Fayetteville State. Both players are outfielders for the Broncos, who play Saturday at SouthEastern Community College.
Former Williamston star Tara Stancill and former Mattamuskeet standout Brittney Nixon are playing softball at Louisburg College. Stancill plays third base and Nixon splits between catching and outfield. The Hurricanes play in the Aiken Community College tournament this weekend.
Former Northside standout Candice Sasnett is playing softball at Florence-Darlington Technical College. Sasnett, who plays shortstop, and the Stingers play in the Aiken Tech tournament this weekend.
Former Columbia standout Kat Cahoon plays third base for the Mount Olive Trojans. Mount Olive opens the season Wednesday at Chowan.