Balance keys Panthers’ foursome; Williamston tops Northside golfers

Published 5:51 pm Tuesday, April 15, 2008

By By STEVE FRANKLIN, Sports Writer
Northside golf coach Dave Midkiff has a dilemma that every golf coach would love to have.
He doesn’t have that one golfer he can consistently plug in to the No. 1 slot. He’s got three. And another nipping at their heels.
Nick Peele, Jared Adams, and Josh Keel all have potential to be the Panthers top golfer. On any given outing, one of the three is likely to lead the Panthers in scoring. And it changes on a day-to-day basis.
The big three all average in the mid-80’s. Throw in senior Daniel Woolard who averages below a 90 in 18-hole tournaments, and the Panthers have the perfect concoction for a conference and regional title run.
Nick Peele is the most experienced of the group, having played since his freshman year. The other three all began playing at the varsity level last season.
And what a difference a year has made for this group.
Last season, the quartet all averaged above 90 in 18-hole matches. This season, they’ve each chopped at least five strokes off their average.
Adams credits a summer of hard work to the group’s improvement.
Golf has created a common bond between the four. Before last season, none of them were even aquaintences. Now, they’re a band of brothers.
Everday is a competition between the four friends. And they credit their competiveness with making each one of them better in 2008.
While the quartet has played brilliantly this season in leading Northside to a 19-5 record and a share of the Atlantic Conference regular season title, assistant coach Thomas Peele still sees room for improvement.
The foursome hopes that they can be at their best next Monday when the travel to Roanoke for the Atlantic Conference Championship meet.
Williamston golfers win quad meet
By STEVE FRANKLIN
Sports Writer
CHOCOWINITY — Last week, Northside edged Williamston by a stroke to win a match at the Links in Nags Head.
On Monday, the Tigers got their revenge.
Williamston had four golfers shoot 86 or below at Cypress Landing Golf Club yesterday afternoon as they captured a quad meet against Northside, Southside, and Manteo.
The Tigers (337) eclipsed the second place Panthers (354) by 17 strokes for the team title. The win means the two teams will share the Atlantic/Albemarle Conference crown. Manteo was third with a score of 421, while the Seahawks rounded out the field with 431 points.
Stephen Pearson braved the whipping wind and harsh cold to earn the meet’s top medalist honor after shooting an 82. He was followed by teammate Josh Roberson with an 84, while Braxton Squires added an 85 for the Tigers and Hardison finished with an 86.
Jarred Adams led Northside with an 85 and Dan Woolard followed with an 89. Seniors Josh Keel and Nick Peele each shot 90 for the Panthers.
Manteo was led by freshman Myles Howard who shot a career-best 89. He was followed by teammate Cody Petry with a 105.
Zach Taylor (105), Derek Henderson (107) and Jessica Taylor (108) all cracked the 100-mark for Southside.
Next week, Williamston, Northside, and Southside will square off for the Atlantic Conference Championship in Roanoke. Williamston and Northside are the favorites heading into the event after sharing the regular season crown.
Team Scores
Williamston (337) — Stephen Pearson 82, Josh Roberson 84, Braxton Squires 85, Faith Hardison 86, Ryan Kennedy 102. Northside (354) — Jarred Adams 85, Dan Woolard 89, Josh Keel 90, Nick Peele 90, Stephen Colby 92, Colby Nixon 97. Manteo (421) — Myles Howard 89, Cody Petry 105, Jay Ashley 113, Zach Brown 114, Graham Barnes 117, D.J. Hall 124. Southside (431) — Zach Taylor 105, Derek Henderson 107, Jessica Taylor 108, Trace Woolard 111, Cody Jackson 113, Justin Wheaton 122.