Former Pack star Daniels signs to play with ECSU

Published 7:02 pm Tuesday, April 22, 2008

By By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
When he was at Washington High School, Calvin Daniels was the king at scoring in transition. The high-flying hoops star has once again scored with his latest move. The Pam Pack’s all-time leading scorer has crossed over from Louisburg College to Elizabeth City State University.
The Vikings offered Daniels a full scholarship to play basketball, as well as an opportunity to play football.
Daniels wrapped up his freshman year with Louisburg scoring 12 points per game, and said he was drawn to ECSU by Vikings’ coach, and Plymouth High School alum, Shawn Walker.
Daniels, who plans to major in liberal arts before heading into business courses, also said he plans to try out for the football team.
Walker said he would not stand in his way.
Daniels will be joining fellow area two-sport star Angelo Sharpless, a Plymouth High School standout, on the Vikings’ roster.
For years the two were the best ballers in town, and now the duo will be joined together on the same team.
Daniels said he was excited to have a familiar face on the squad.
The two create a talented log jam at the shooting guard and small forward positions, as they join up with NCCSIA all-state selection Anthony Hilliard, who is also a swingman.
Walker said the overflow of talent at the same position is a problem most coaches would kill for, and that he will find a way to work things out.
Coming off the bench for Louisburg, Daniels averaged 12 points per game. However, Walker said Daniels’ ability to score is uncanny.
Walker recruited Daniels out of high school, but was not bothered by Daniels’ decision to go to Louisburg.
And that’s exactly what he did.