Washington seniors go out on top

Published 8:45 pm Friday, May 2, 2008

By By STEVE FRANKLIN, Sports Writer
The Pam Pack was so dominant on Thursday night that even its starting goalie chipped in with a goal.
After racing out to a 5-0 halftime lead over West Craven, senior Ashley Crompton — who’s started every game in goal for the Pam Pack this season — shifted to a forward spot and scored her first varsity goal, racing past several Eagles’ defenders in the 71st minute and blasting a shot past goalkeeper Carolina Higgins.
It was a fitting end to a dazzling senior night. Before Thursday’s contest with the Eagles, the Lady Pam Pack honored graduating seniors Blaine Prescott, Kelsea Nall and Crompton with flowers and photos.
Prescott was unable to play in her final home game at Washington High School because of an injury to her right leg. But she went down in the books as a senior night starter after stepping on to the field for the opening seconds.
Nall made her first start of the season and although she didn’t score, she had a night to remember.
While the seniors were honored before hand, the underclassman stole the show on the field for the Pam Pack.
Junior Xenia Adonts started the Pam Pack onslaught with the game’s first goal, and shortly after sophomore Haylee Stowe made it 2-0. Midway through the first half, Washington added another goal as freshman Beth Bachelor hammered a shot past the West Craven net-minder.
Later in the opening half, Stowe added her second goal of the game to put the Pack ahead 4-0. Washington’s final goal of the half came off the foot of sophomore Shannon Neiderhouser, sending the Pam Pack to intermission with a five-goal lead.
Washington’s sixth goal of the contest came in the 61st minute as Shelby Smithwick broke into the open and dribbled a shot past Higgins.
Kozuch also said that the win was a good morale boost for his team as they head into the East Region playoffs next week. The Pam Pack will travel to Jacksonville Tuesday or Wednesday.