Seahawks-Panthers’ game washed out

Published 12:28 am Wednesday, May 21, 2008

By By STEVE FRANKLIN, Sports Writer
CHOCOWINITY — Northside’s Amanda Beirne and Southside’s Gabby Cilluffo were in the midst of an epic pitchers duel on Tuesday afternoon when Mother Nature reered her ugly head.
The Panthers and Seahawks had played to a scoreless tie through four innings Tuesday afternoon, when heavy rain and frequent lightning forced officials to postpone the contest.
The game will resume at 6 p.m. today with Northside at-bat in the top of the fifth inning. Panthers’ first baseman Cameron Waters drew a walk and was on first base with no outs when the game was called.
Through four innings, Beirne and Cilluffo had allowed just two hits apiece. Cilluffo struck out six through four, while Beine struck out two.
The Seahawks (19-4), the Atlantic Conference champs, got singles from Shakeira Lomax and Kristen Ayers. The Panthers (13-9), the only wild card team remaining in the N.C. High School Athletic Association’s Group 1-A Softball Tournament, had singles from Beirne and Lauren Rodriguez.
Northside threatened on a pair of occasions Tuesday as they had two runners on base in both the second and third innings. Northside’s best scoring chance came in the second, as the Panthers got a lead-off single from Rodriguez, and Whitney Lewis followed with a walk. Both advanced on a passed ball, before Cilluffo recorded a pair of strikeouts and induced another Panthers’ hitter to pop out.
In the third, the Panthers got a lead-off walk by Tiffany Jackson and a two-out single by Beirne, before Cilluffo got Rodriguez to fly out to center fielder Sydney Harding.
The Seahawks’ best scoring opportunity also came in the third, as Ayers singles with one out, then advanced to third base on a sacrifice bunt by Shakeira Lomax. She was left stranded on third as Dee Dee Stanley popped out to end the inning.
Southside is attempting to beat Northside for the third time this season.