Smith tabbed WDN Female Athlete of the Year

Published 7:20 am Sunday, June 29, 2008

Samantha Smith seemed to be everywhere this season. Maybe that’s because she made her presence known wherever she went.
The Washington Pam Pack star capped off a terrific season by being named the WDN Female Athlete of the Year.
Smith excelled in basketball, volleyball and track for the Pam Pack. While she enjoyed playing each, Smith did have a favorite.
Smith, who played in the post for Washington, was named to the WDN All-Area First Team. She dominated down low, pumping in 14 points and ripping down 12 rebounds per game.
Smith, called the “heart and soul” of the Pam Pack by her coach, Allison Jones, helped lead Washington to a 13-13 record. More importantly, she helped guide the Pack to a spot in the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Class 3-A state playoffs.
Smith said her favorite memory from basketball season came in a 45-41 win over Havelock during the first round of the Coastal Conference tournament. She finished with a game-high 17 points and 14 rebounds in the win. The victory gave Washington the third seed for the state playoffs.
Smith earned honorable mention status on the WDN All-Area volleyball team. While the Pam Pack didn’t win a match all year, Smith said she had fun.
Smith finished her athletic career at Washington outdoors, helping the track team to some impressive showings.
Pam Pack track coach Jon Blank said he was happy he could work with Smith, and was pleased she was named the Female Athlete of the Year.
Despite performing in track for just the second time, Smith qualified to the regional and state meets in the shot put and 100-meter hurdle events.
Smith won the Coastal Conference championship with a toss of 33 feet, 7 inches in the shot put event. She also took third in the hurdles.
Not many athletes are able to excel in a weight and a speed event. Smith attributed her success to her track coach.
Through it all, Smith said she’s been able to lean on her parents, Pamela Cobb and Floyd Smith.
Smith, who said she’ll miss her high school teammates, is hoping that her athletic career hasn’t come to an end. She’s looking to play basketball in college somewhere.