High school football officially kicks off

Published 1:55 pm Saturday, August 2, 2008

By Staff
Pack hungry for more
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
The lights were on an J.G. “Choppy” Wagner Stadium on Friday night, and there were players clad in blue scampering around the field.
It’s about as close as the Washington Pam Pack could come without actually playing a game.
The Pack will officially kick off the season Aug. 22 at home against North Pitt.
Fifth-year head coach Sport Sawyer did a nice job simulating a regular-season game with Friday’s practice, which kicked off at 9:30 p.m. It was set to last past midnight, which would count as two practices.
The players, who were able to joke around some during water breaks, have some high expectations.
The players were going to be treated to some pizza after practice. Pizza or not, senior linebacker David Tyson is hungry for a big season.
Panthers hungry to improve
By STEVE FRANKLIN
Sports Writer
Ever since Northside was ousted from the first round of the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Class 1A state playoffs by Roanoke, coach Keith Boyd has been itching to get back on the field.
Friday, Boyd and the Panthers got that chance.
The prep football season officially kicked off August 1 and Boyd and the Panthers immediately went to work as they try to improve upon last season’s 3-9 mark.
The first official day of practice yielded 36 participants. Boyd expects that number to grow to between 50 and 55 kids by the time the season kicks off.
The Panthers do return 10 senior starters and a couple of underclassman that saw significant playing time, so the foundation for improvement will revolve around those players.
Among Northside’s key returners will be center Thack Cutler, offensive lineman Seth Boyd, defensive lineman Michael Case, running back D.J. Satterthwaite and wide receiver Jared Adams.
The Panthers will open the season on the road against Mattamuskeet on Aug. 22, before returning home the following week to take on North Duplin.
Second time around a lot smoother for Hines
By BRIAN HAINES
Sports Writer
CHOCOWINITY — The second time around was a lot smoother for Southside football coach David Hines, as the second-year skipper conducted the Seahawks’ first day of practice Friday without a hitch.
Last year, Hines was unable to attend his team’s first workout due to some minor logistics. Hines had no such problems Friday and said he was happy to be back on the football field.
Hines said he was happy with the player turnout for the first day of practice, and liked the enthusiasm his team showed.
The Seahawks separated as they broke huddle after practice, but that was only temporary. Hines scheduled all the players to sleep in the gym for the night, followed by a practice at 7:30 a.m. the next morning in an effort to foster team chemistry.
The game plan for the night is to have all the players relax and have some fun.