Williamston, Plymouth pumped for football season

Published 1:56 pm Saturday, August 2, 2008

By Staff
It’s midnight madness for Tigers
By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
WILLIAMSTON — How excited for football season are the Williamston Tigers? So excited that they practiced the first possible minute they were allowed.
All area teams are permitted to hold their first day of practice on Aug. 1, and Tigers’ coach Asim McGill didn’t waste a minute getting to work as he held his team’s practice at midnight.
McGill and the Tigers have a good reason to be excited about this season, as the reigning Atlantic Conference champions have been recently ranked sixth in the state amongst 1-A schools by NCPreps.com.
McGill said the ranking doesn’t mean much to him, that it’s all about what his team can do on Friday night.
Last season, the Tigers posted a 9-4 record, and made it to the second round of the 1-A playoffs before falling to Roanoke. But before Williamston can think about the playoffs, they have to focus on the fundamentals.
McGill, who had nearly 30 athletes show up for his midnight practice and anticipates another 20 or so as the week goes on, said the first few days are all about the basics.
State champs have whole new look
By STEVE FRANKLIN
Sports Writer
PLYMOUTH — Robert Cody and the Plymouth Vikings are already reaping the benefits of last year’s North Carolina High School Athletic Association Class-1A State Championship.
On Friday, the Vikings had an eye-popping 63 kids show up for the first day of tryouts for the 2008 season.
The high turnout is certainly needed. The Vikings are trying to replace 17 starters from last year’s state title team. Only defensive end Daniel Downing and outside linebacker Patrick Phelps will return to the starting lineup this season.
However, the Vikings aren’t about to flush this season down the toilet just yet.
Cody still has high hopes for his ball club.
The longtime head coach plans to spend this week focusing on conditioning and discipline, two key aspects to every football team.
The Vikings will begin their title defense on August 22 when they welcome Farmville Central to town.