Former Pam Pack star Cox to play at Olney

Published 2:09 pm Sunday, August 3, 2008

Cor-J Cox is taking his high-flying act to Chicago.
The former Washington Pam Pack standout will continue his academic and athletic career at Olney Central College, a member of the Division I National Junior College Athletic Association. Cox is excited to play for the Blue Knights, who compete with the likes of Southwestern Illinois Chicago (25-5 last year) and Southeastern Illinois College (24-6 last year).
The Blue Knights, who play in region 24 in the Great Rivers Athletic Conference, went 9-21 overall and 1-15 in conference play last year.
The 6-4, 190-pound Cox, who will play small forward, averaged 12.4 points, 11.9 rebounds, 5.7 assists, 2.3 steals and 1.0 blocks per game his senior season with the Pam Pack. Cox, who recorded six triple-doubles during the year, earned Most Valuable Player, all-conference and WDN all-area honors.
Cox scored a season-high 23 points in wins over Havelock and Williamston, and 22 in a loss to South Central. He had six points, 18 rebounds, 10 steals and 10 assists in a win over J.H. Rose.
Cox recorded at least 12 rebounds in 10 games, while dishing out at least 10 assists five different times.
He hit 106 of 147 (72 percent) shots from 2-point range and 9 of 41 (22 percent) from 3-point land, along with 22 of 33 (66.7 percent) from the free throw line.
Cox’s high school coach, Joe Lawrence, believes his former pupil has a bright future.
Cox, who is playing with Team Juda, an AAU team based out of Kinston, reports to school Aug. 15. He’s ready to start a new chapter in his life, and he’ll be sure to bring a heavy coat with him.
Cox won’t be alone when he sets forth on his new journey.
Cox, who finished his high school career with 846 points, 490 rebounds, 345 assists and 149 steals, credits those around him for helping him succeed.
He also thanked his coaches, including Lawrence and former Northside coaches, Mike Procter and Michelle Leathers.
He also had high praise for his parents, Sheila Cox and Lamont Green.
Cox, who finished with a 2.88 GPA and earned a 1330 on his SAT, plans to study computer technology.
When not dabbling with computers, Cox will be busy working at improving his skills on the court.
Cox said he models his game after LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers, who is currently playing with the U.S. basketball team. He also admires Washington native and current Oklahoma City player Damien Wilkins, among others.
Cox will get his first taste of college basketball Nov. 1 when the Blue Knights play host to Sound Doctrine.
Cox is hoping Olney is just the next step in his basketball journey.
Former Olney center Tijan Jobe recently signed to play with the Indiana Hoosiers.