Boyd gets good look at Panthers

Published 4:16 pm Wednesday, August 13, 2008

WINTERVILLE — Darius Murray showed bursts of speed and a knack for the end zone during Tuesday’s scrimmage at South Central High School.
The Northside sophomore found the end zone multiple times, mostly coming from at least 25 yards out, as the Panthers scrimmaged against South Central, North Pitt and Perquimans. Murray showed early in the scrimmage what he could do, breaking off a long run down the sideline after eluding would-be Perquimans tacklers.
Northside coach Keith Boyd was happy to see his team compete against some quality opponents.
The third-year head coach left the scrimmage with some mixed feelings.
Senior back Daykuan Mackey had a solid scrimmage for the Panthers. He broke off a handful of big runs and seems ready to get the regular season started.
After watching his team win two games two years ago and three games last year, Mackey is looking to help the Panthers take a bigger step this year.
Whether playing against Class 1A or 3A competition, such as South Central, lineman Seth Boyd seemed to tower over his opponents. The 6-4, 270-pound junior will be counted on to help pave the way for Northside’s ground attack this year.
The lineman thought the Panthers handled themselves well Tuesday, but does see room for improvement.
Coach Boyd said he would find plenty of work to do with his team between now and next Friday night’s season opener at Mattamuskeet.
After the Aug. 22 season opener against the Lakers, Northside plays its home opener Aug. 29 against North Duplin.