Goddard wants to go out in style

Published 5:04 pm Sunday, August 17, 2008

Trimane Goddard may be a prankster in the locker room, having some fun with water or Icy Hot at a teammate’s expense, but the fifth-year senior is all business when he’s on the field.
A starting safety for the Tar Heels, and a former star at Roanoke High School, Goddard wants to make sure his senior year is a special one.
The 5-11, 195-pounder, who was named Class 1-A Mr. Football following his senior season in high school, has 128 total tackles and five interceptions in his college career. While he would love to add to those totals, he’s more interested in winning games.
Goddard, who wears No. 31 for the Heels, has started 18 games, including all 12 last year. He tied for second on the team with 59 tackles, while forcing three fumbles (tied for second in the ACC) and intercepting two passes. His five pass breakups led the Tar Heels in 2007.
Goddard missed the 2006 season because of a broken foot.
In 2005 he finished with 53 tackles and three interceptions. He also broke up five passes and recovered a fumble.
Goddard played in every game his freshman season in 2004, recording 16 tackles.
The affable and always-polite Goddard has shone while he’s been on the field. Getting on the field has been an issue at times, as he’s missed regular season games and practice time because of a broken foot and a broken wrist.
However, as the Tar Heels go through training camp, Goddard said he’s feeling fine.
While many players dread training camp, Goddard is enjoying each snap, each day.
Goddard and his teammates will open the season Aug. 30 at home against McNeese State. The game at Kenan Stadium kicks off at 6 p.m.
The Tar Heels will have plenty of support this year as all home games have already been sold out.
Goddard doesn’t want his playing days to be finished once his senior season comes to an end. He has high hopes of playing on Sundays, and is considered by many to be a high draft pick.
Goddard wants to do well to open the eyes of the NFL scouts, but he’s more concerned with helping his team win.