Mandi has been dandy for Southside

Published 8:54 pm Thursday, September 4, 2008

CHOCOWINITY — When she’s not busy, Mandi Harding enjoys swimming and going to the beach with her friends.
It’s amazing she has any time to do that.
The likable Southside High School senior, who is also heavily involved in her church, is busy year-round with sports as she’s a three-sport star for the Seahawks. Despite all the time she devotes to her athletic pursuits, Harding manages to excel in the classroom as well. She carries a 3.9 GPA.
When she’s on the court, Harding has proven to be a key contributor for the Seahawks.
Harding is a force at the net, whether it’s smashing a kill or blocking an opponent’s shot. She’s also one of the area’s best servers.
Thus far, the 5-foot, 9-inch senior with serious hops has helped Southside get off to a 4-2 start. Harding is hoping her final year of high school volleyball will end on a special note.
So what’s it going to take for Southside to claim the Atlantic Conference championship?
Harding has gained confidence on the court throughout her high school career. Part of her success can be attributed to her parents, Shawn and Tracey Harding.
Harding also said having a good coach like Pruden certainly helps.
Harding, who hopes to attend N.C. State and eventually become a physical education or history teacher while also doing some coaching, believes hard work and a strong bond will having the Seahawks soaring.
Harding, the “older sister” on the team, is a big reason why.