Beaufort County rivalry: Pam Pack to battle the Panthers

Published 9:06 pm Friday, September 5, 2008

By Staff
By KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
While several schools in the area opted to move their games up a day in hopes of avoiding remnants of Tropical Storm Hanna, Washington and Northside are still hoping to play tonight.
The Beaufort County rivals are scheduled to meet at 7 p.m. at J.G. “Choppy” Wagner Stadium.
Both teams have byes next Friday so if the game does get postponed, the Pam Pack and Panthers could do battle then.
Washington coach Sport Sawyer, now in his fifth season leading the team, is hoping for decent weather so the two friendly rivals can play.
The teams have met 13 previous times, with Washington holding a 9-4 lead in the series. The Pack and Panthers played in the annual Anchor Bowl from 1989 to 2000. Southside replaced Washington as Northside’s opponent in the bowl game in 2001.
Washington and Northside renewed the rivalry in 2007. The Pam Pack posted a 48-8 win in that game.
Northside’s last victory over the Pack came in 2000, a 28-6 decision.
Both teams are looking to bounce back from losses.
Washington (1-1), a 3A school out of the Coastal Conference, fell 35-0 to Tarboro last Friday.
Northside (1-1), a 1A school in the Atlantic Conference, endured a 32-31 setback to North Duplin on Monday.
Washington, suffering its most lopsided defeat since a 56-21 setback to 4A New Bern in 2006, was shutout for the first time since a 24-0 blanking at the hands of Hertford County on Sept. 4, 2006.
Sawyer is hoping his team, which hasn’t scored an offensive touchdown in six quarters, can respond in a hurry.
There’s no question about quarterback Austin Thompson’s toughness or desire. The senior, who is 28 of 40 (70 percent) for 236 yards with two touchdowns and one interception, will look to snap the Pack’s scoreless string.
Thompson’s favorite target has been junior Dakuan Spencer, who has hauled in 12 passes for 186 yards and three scores. Mike Moore has snagged eight balls for 92 yards while Michael Godley has five receptions for 52 yards.
Tony Turnage has been the Pack’s leading ground-gainer, picking up 104 yards on 18 carries.
The Panthers, led by sophomore quarterback Darrius Murray, who threw for two touchdowns and ran for another against North Duplin, have scored 90 points in their first two games.
Murray connected with Jared Adams on the scoring tosses. TaMichael Tonge added a 60-yard touchdown scamper for Northside.
Boyd is hoping his players will be ready physically after having just played on Monday.
The Pack gets an immediate boost for tonight’s game with the expected return of senior defensive end Chase Tripp. He missed the first two games with an ankle injury.
(Editor’s note: Because of a an early deadline, if the game is played, the story will appear in Sunday’s edition of the WDN.)
Washington-Northside
2007 – Washington 48, Northside 8
2000 – Northside 28, Washington 6
1999 – Washington 20, Northside 6
1998 – Washington 32, Northside 7
1997 – Washington 53, Northside 0
1996 – Washington 20, Northside 6
1995 – Washington 17, Northside 14
1994 – Washington 29, Northside 16
1993 – Washington 18, Northside 6
1992 – Northside 42, Washington 6
1991 – Northside 30, Washington 14
1990 – Northside 31, Washington 12
1989 – Washington 30, Northside 0