Washington takes 9-0 win over Havelock

Published 9:07 pm Friday, September 5, 2008

By By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
Playing at home for the first time this season, the Washington Pam Pack tennis team gave the fans something to cheer about as it topped Coastal Conference rival Havelock 9-0 on Thursday.
The Pack endured temperatures of 90-plus degrees to win a four-hour marathon match and improve to 3-1 on the year.
Pam Pack co-coaches Michelle Elks and Beth Pippen said they were proud of their team’s performance on Thursday.
The girls played great,” Pippen said. “They came out strong, and everyone won their first set. That was good for our confidence.”
The young Pam Pack was led by No. 1 seed, sophomore Beth Batchelor who earned a 6-2, 6-1 victory over the Rams’ Rachel Pratt.
Junior Hayley Stowe, the No. 2 seed, topped Stephanie Bowman 6-0, 6-2.
Batchelor and Stowe each maintained their perfect singles’ record, as they both improved to 4-0.
Mary Potocki dominated Jean Chang, winning 6-0, 6-0, while Davy Ann Burbage blew by Jordan Garrett 6-3, 6-1. Janie Page had to work a littler harder as she beat Ashley Deschuyther 6-3, 7-6, and No. 6 seed D’Lorah Pierce rounded closed out singles play with a 6-0, 6-0 win over Shannon Woodard.
For Page, the Pack’s No. 5 seed, Thursday’s win was a special one.
The high temperature appeared to take its toll on some of the players, as intensity and enthusiasm wavered throughout the day.
Pippen felt her team endured the heat well.
Both coaches said they were impressed by the play of Potocki, who swept her opponent 6-0, 6-0.
The Pack also looked good in doubles play. Batchelor and Stowe downed Pratt and Bowman 8-1, while Page and Potocki legged out an 8-5 win over Garrett and Deschuther. Burbage and Pierce completed the sweep of the Rams by topping Taylor Smith and Woodard 8-3.
Though the Washington was able to buck the Rams on Thursday, both coaches felt the team needs to improve on its doubles play.
The Pack will play its second home game in a row on Tuesday, when it hosts West Carteret.
WASHINGTON 9, HAVELOCK 0
SINGLES
Beth Batchelor (W) d. Rachel Pratt 6-2, 6-1; Hayley Stowe (W) d. Stephanie Bowman 6-0, 6-2; Mary Potocki (W) d. Jean Chang 6-0, 6-0; Davy Ann Burbage (W) d. Jordan Garrett 6-3, 6-1; Janie Page (W) d. Ashley Deschuyther 6-3, 7-6; D’Lorah Pierce (W) d. Shannon Woodard 6-0, 6-0.
DOUBLES
Batchelor/Stowe (W) d. Pratt/Bowman 8-1; Page/Potocki (W) d. Garrett/Deschuyther 8-5; Burbage/Pierce (W) d. Taylor Smith/Woodard.