Pam Pack football team looks to make it two straight

Published 2:27 am Friday, October 3, 2008

Washington is growing a little weary of its rollercoaster ride.
The Pam Pack, 3-2 overall and 1-0 in Coastal Conference play, has been an inconsistent bunch this season. Coach Sport Sawyer’s team has won every other week, while suffering lopsided, shutout losses in the other weeks.
The Pack will look to make it two straight wins for the first time this season when it travels to Winterville to battle conference foe, South Central. Kickoff is set for 7 p.m.
One of Washington’s bugaboos this year has been the inability to score in the third quarter. The Pack has been outscored 29-0 in the third quarter this season.
The Pack holds a 4-1 series lead over the Falcons. Washington took a 47-6 victory last year, while South Central posted a 28-21 win two years ago.
Coach Walt Davis and his Falcons (3-2, 0-1) are coming off a 35-14 loss to West Craven. South Central opened the season with consecutive victories, downing Green Central 23-0 and then Farmville Central 20-12. After a 28-26 loss to Eastern Wayne, the Falcons bounced back to post a 23-8 win over Bertie.
One of Davis’ assistants is former Pam Pack and Northside head coach Bing Mitchell. Mitchell was 28-42 from 1980 to 1986 as Washington’s head coach.
Pam Pack defensive coordinator Jon Blank said a key to tonight’s game will be containing South Central quarterback Montrell McCotter.
Pack quarterback Austin Thompson sat out Monday’s and Tuesday’s practices. Sawyer said his three-year starter should be good to go tonight.
Thompson has completed 53 of 80 passes (66.3 percent) for 770 yards. The senior has thrown eight touchdown passes and four interceptions. He’s added 96 yards and three touchdowns on the ground.
Thompson has been able to spread the ball around. Dakuan Spencer has 15 catches for 272 yards and four scores; Mike Moore has 19 receptions for 208 yards and a pair of touchdowns; Michael Godley has 12 catches for 175 yards and two scores and Tony Turnage has six catches for 135 yards and a touchdown.
Freshman Kaschief Foreman leads Washington’s ground attack with 198 yards and two scores. Tony Turnage has 184 yards rushing, while Spencer picked up 73 yards on 10 carries last week.
The Pack returns home next Friday night to face the undefeated West Craven Eagles (5-0, 1-0), who are ranked sixth in the latest 3A state football poll.