Daniels has huge day for Braves

Published 3:07 am Monday, October 6, 2008

Travis Daniels ran wild on Saturday.
The former Washington High School star, a freshman with the UNC-Pembroke Braves, ran for a career-high 138 yards to help lead the Braves to a 35-2 win over Webber International. He got 134 of those yards in the second half.
Daniels picked up the yardage on just nine carries, a 15.3 average per tote. His longest run of the afternoon went for 57 yards, while he also added runs of 47, 11 and 10 yards. Daniels also had a four-yard reception.
For the season, Daniels has rushed for 209 yards and a touchdown on 22 carries. He’s caught four passes for 40 yards and has one kickoff return for 26 yards.
The Braves (5-1) play at West Virginia Wesleyan in a 1 p.m. game on Saturday.
Goddard gets another pick
Trimane Goddard came up with his fourth interception of the season, and third in two games, as the North Carolina Tar Heels topped the No. 24 Connecticut Huskies 38-12 on Saturday.
Goddard, a former star at Roanoke High School, returned the interception 33 yards, stopping a UConn drive deep into UNC territory at the end of the first half. He also had four tackles.
For the season, Goddard has 22 tackles, four interceptions and two pass break-ups. His four interceptions is his single-season high.
Goddard has nine interceptions and 150 tackles in his career.
The Heels (4-1, 1-1 ACC) return to action Saturday at home against Notre Dame in a 3:30 p.m. kickoff.
Palmer has big game
Greg Palmer had a big day for the Chowan Hawks in Saturday’s 60-21 loss to Fayetteville State University.
The former Northside High School standout had 11 tackles, including four for loss and half a sack, in the game. Palmer also had a fumble recovery.
For the season, Palmer has 28 tackles, one fumble recovery and one forced fumble.
Chowan (1-5) plays host to Livingstone College in a 6 p.m. kickoff on Saturday.
Wilson gets a day off
C.J. Wilson, a former Northside High School star, and the rest of the East Carolina Pirates had the day off as the team had a bye.
For the season, Wilson has 28 tackles, eight tackles-for-loss (for 30 yards), 4.5 sacks, four quarterback hurries, one forced fumble and one blocked kick.
The Pirates (3-2, 1-1 C-USA) return to action Saturday at Virginia. ECU is home Oct. 18 to face Memphis in C-USA action.
Clemmons has quiet day
Jamaine Clemmons did not record any stats for the N.C. State Wolfpack in Saturday’s 38-31 loss to Boston College.
Clemmons, a former standout at Williamston High School, has not been credited with a tackle yet this season. The defensive end wears No. 90 for the Wolfpack.
N.C. State (2-4, 0-2 ACC), off next week, returns to action Oct. 16 in a special Thursday night (7:30 p.m.) home game against Florida State.
Marable breaks up two passes
Jeremiah Marable broke up two passes for the Elizabeth City Vikings in Saturday’s 35-7 win over Virginia State.
The former Southside High School star did not record any tackles.
On the season, Marable has 32 tackles, a fumble recovery, a blocked punt, a blocked punt return that went for a touchdown, a punt return for nine yards and two pass break-ups.
The Vikings (3-3, 3-0 CIAA) play at Bowie State (Maryland) in a 1 p.m. kickoff on Saturday.
Hyman has one tackle
Kenneth Hyman had one tackle for the Guilford Quakers in Friday’s 47-31 win over Southern Virginia.
Hyman, a former standout with the Roanoke Redskins, also broke up one pass.
For the season, Hyman has 16 tackles, two interceptions, three pass break-ups and four pass deflections.
The Quakers (3-2, 0-1 ODAC), off next week, return to action Oct. 18 in a 1 p.m. home game against Bridgewater.
Rodgers, Cahoon get two tackles
Nigel Rodgers and Micke’l Cahoon each recorded two tackles for the North Carolina Wesleyan Bishops in Saturday’s 37-24 loss to Maryville College.
Rodgers, a former standout at Washington High School, started the game at defensive back.
Rodgers has 13 tackles and one pass break-up on the season.
Cahoon, a former standout at Creswell High School, had two tackles for loss totaling nine yards.
Cahoon has nine tackles, including 7.5 for loss, on the season.
Freshman Jarret Coffield, a former standout at Williamston High School, did not record any stats. He is 0 for 2 from his quarterback spot.
Also, Floyd Moore, a former standout at Southside High School, has not recorded any tackles to date.
Wesleyan (2-3, 1-1 USA South Conference), off next week, plays host to Averett University on Oct. 18.
Jones records one tackle
Jamont Jones had one tackle for the Lenoir-Rhyne Bears in Saturday’s 48-19 loss to Tusculum.
The former Washington Pam Pack standout, a freshman with the Bears, has one interception, four tackles and one punt return for eight yards on the season.
The Bears (3-3, 1-1 SAC) play at Wingate University in a 1:30 p.m. contest on Saturday.
Prescott getting lots of action
Freshman Blaine Prescott has been seeing plenty of action on the field with the Lees-McRae Bobcats soccer team.
The former Washington High School star has played in all 11 games, while starting three of them.
Prescott has one assist on the season. She has attempted eight shots on goal.
The Bobcats (8-3, 2-3 CVAC) will face Limestone College in a 5 p.m. home match on Tuesday.
Crompton on Trojans
Ashley Crompton has made one appearance on the field for the Mount Olive Trojans soccer team.
Crompton, a former standout at Washington High School, has not recorded any statistics.
The Trojans (2-10, 1-4 CVAC) play at Lees-McRae on Friday.
Locals on Pitt volleyball
A few former area athletes are playing for the Pitt Community College volleyball team.
Michelle Bracey, a former standout at Williamston High School, has 57 kills, 39 blocks and 14 digs.
Lauren O’Neal, also a former standout at Williamston, has 16 kills, 20 blocks, nine digs and three aces.
Augusta Johnston, a former standout at Southside High School, has 16 kills, five blocks and five digs.
Pitt (11-5, 3-2 Region X Conference) plays in the Tracey Leather Memorial Invitational in Hagerstown, Md., this weekend.
Coffield still lighting it up
Elton Coffield is playing with the BSW Sixers in Germany once again.
The former Williamston High School and Mount Olive College star, who led the league in scoring last year, began this season on a bright note. Coffield erupted for 25 points in a season-opening victory.
Barber in Japan
Joe Barber is making world travel and basketball a nice routine.
The former Terra Ceia standout, who played college basketball at UNC-Asheville, is now a member of the Sendai 89ers in Japan.
Barber has previously played in Finland, England and Switzerland.