Swimmers look to create some waves

Published 9:10 am Saturday, November 8, 2008

Washington has had plenty of success in the water in recent years. Fifth-year Pam Pack swimming coach Spencer Pake believes that won’t change this year.
Pake, who has been voted the conference’s top coach in two of his first four years, has some lofty expectations for his Pam Pack squad.
Pake led his swimmers through a grueling workout recently. He said his team is making some progress.
The Pack opens the season Wednesday at home against J.H. Rose and D.H. Conley. The meet in the aquatic center at the Susiegray McConnell Complex begins at 4 p.m.
Pake is glad to open with a couple of traditionally strong programs. While Rose won’t be in the Coastal Conference after this year, Pake said Washington will still swim against them. New Bern, like Rose, will also be in a new conference next year.
Rose boasts a couple powerhouse swimmers in Lauren Perdue and Matt Houser. Both seniors will be swimming at the University of Virginia next year.
Pake will be leaning on his captains to provide leadership this year.
Shannon Niederhauser, a junior, is captain of the girls team for the second straight year. Senior Luke Stroud is captain of the boys squad.
Washington will count on strong seasons from the likes of Will Davis and Brandon Niederhauser on the boys side. Brandon Niederhauser, a sophomore and the brother of Shannon, is currently out with a broken arm. Pake things Brandon will make a speedy return once he gets in the pool.
Pake will looking for big things from Brittany Jackson (long distance), Shelby Smithwick, Anna Pfeiffer and Riziki Ormonde on the girls side. The Washington coach already likes what he sees out of Omonde, a freshman.
Though he wants this experienced swimmers to provide plenty of points, Pake is also expecting his young swimmers to make an impact.
One positive for the Pack is that the team won’t have to do much traveling. Washington will be hosting more than its fair share of meets this season.
Pake is hoping his team will create some big waves this season.