McGill no stranger to success

Published 3:02 pm Wednesday, December 10, 2008

By Staff
Commentary by KEVIN TRAVIS, Sports Editor
Williamston has a long and storied tradition of excellence in sports. The Tigers have won a handful of baseball and football state championships.
Williamston’s last state championship in football came in 1999 under the direction of Harold Robinson.
It took just three years into Asim McGill’s head coaching tenure to put Williamston in position to win another football title. The Tigers (10-5) will face Mount Airy (15-0) in Saturday’s N.C. High School Athletic Association Class 1A state championship game at 3:30 p.m. in Carter-Finley Stadium.
Success is nothing new to McGill, who is 23-17 in three years with the Tigers, including 13-9 in conference play. A former Washington Pam Pack standout, McGill had plenty of highlights during his high school career from 1992-96.
The versatile McGill played quarterback, defensive back and running back for the Pack. He helped guide Washington to conference championships in his sophomore and junior seasons, while helping the Pack earn a runner-up finish his senior season.
McGill also found success in college, where he played at North Carolina Central.
McGill’s first year as head coach of the Tigers was a learning one. Williamston finished 4-8 overall and 3-5 in conference play.
His first victory as head coach came in the third game of the season, a 21-6 victory over Jamesville.
The Tigers showed dramatic improvement in McGill’s second year. While guiding his Tigers to a 9-4, 5-2 mark, McGill saw his Tigers win a conference championship. He also earned the first playoff win of his coaching career, a 52-12 drubbing of Weldon in the second round of the state playoffs.
McGill and his Tigers didn’t slow down this year. He led the team to its second consecutive conference title.
Like a good coach should, McGill has his team peaking at the right time. The Tigers have rattled off seven straight wins.
McGill, who is 5-2 in playoff games, had to alter his lineup when quarterback Cedric Moody went down with an injury.
In stepped Emery Griggs. All Griggs has done is account for 3,158 yards (2,142 rushing; 1,016 passing) of total offense and 36 touchdowns (26 rushing; 10 passing).
Quarterback may not be a “natural” position for Griggs, but McGill didn’t play a “natural” position during his prep playing days either. And both have found plenty of success.
While playing for the Pack in the 1990s, McGill knew all about Williamston’s steep tradition.
Now he’s a part of it.
He couldn’t be any happier.
And Williamston fans likely are just as happy.
—–
Kevin Travis is the sports editor of the Washington Daily News. You may reach him at 940-4217, or by e-mail at Kevin@wdnweb.com.