Tigers’ Everett does a little of everything

Published 3:12 pm Thursday, December 11, 2008

By By STEVE FRANKLIN, Sports Writer
WILLIAMSTON — Williamston running back Derek Everett is quick to give credit to his offensive linemen after each touchdown run or long scamper.
That’s because for most of his life, Everett has been one of them.
Growing up, the 6-foot, 230-pound Everett was always one of the biggest guys on the field, and was relegated to the offensive line. In fact, for the last two seasons, Everett has been the Tigers’s starting center.
But after a summer of rigorous workouts, Everett slimmed down and added muscle. He also showed the coach his pass catching ability, which prompted Tigers’ coach Asim McGill to move his starting center to tight end.
Everett played three games at tight end before an injury to starting quarterback Cedric Moody changed things. With fullback Emery Griggs making the switch from fullback to starting signal caller, Everett was thrust into Williamston’s backfield.
Everett’s transition from offensive lineman to tight end to fullback has been a smooth one.
He’s proved to be a dual threat out of the backfield for the Tigers. The senior fullback has caught 14 passes for a team-leading 494 yards with one touchdown reception. He’s also run for 429 yards and six scores.
He’s one of the main reasons the Tigers will be vying for the North Carolina High School Athletic Association Class 1-A State title on Saturday.
Everett, who has received some college interest already, says that he’s really amped up for the state championship game. He’ll be giving all he’s got on Saturday, because there’s a lot more than just a state title at stake for Everett.
Everett said he’ll also be playing the game for his family.