Short-handed Washington swim team has fine showing

Published 4:40 pm Thursday, December 18, 2008

By By STEVE FRANKLIN, Sports Writer
Washington’s swim team was short-handed on Wednesday evening as a half a dozen swimmers were out of action because of illness.
Still, both the Pam Pack’s boys’ and girls’ teams were able to muster second place finishes in a tri-meet against D.H. Conley and West Carteret at the SusieGray McConnell Aquatics Center in Washington.
In boys’ action, West Carteret took home first place honors with 125 points, followed by Washington with 116 and J.H. Rose withh 111.
Will Davis scored the lone individual victory for the Pam Pack as he cruised to the win in the 200-yard freestyle with a time of 2:15.97.
Davis also teamed with Brandon Niederhauser, Joey Davenport and York Winstead to capture the win in the 200-yard free relay.
Davis took second in te 100-yard breast stroke and was part of the runner-up squad in the 200-yard medley relay, as he teamed with Winstead, Davenport and Charles Pfeiffer.
Niederhauser had two runner-up finishes for the Pack, taking second in both the 50 and 100-yard freestyle races, while Colin Daw took second place in the 100-yard backstroke.
Washington had just one regional qualifier on the afternoon, as Winstead posted a time of 1:04.50 in the 100-yard butterfly to finish third.
Pake was pleased with Winstead’s swim.
Adam Mason (50-yard freestyle) also added a third place finish for Washington.
In the girls’ competition, West Carteret ran away with the team title, scoring 128 points to edge Washington (81 points) and J.H. Rose (64 points).
Pam Pack freshman Riziki Omonde had a terrific afternoon, winning both the 100-yard butterfly and 200-yard individual medley races. She also teamed with Shannon Niederhauser, Jessie Howard and Rachael Thompson to score a victory in the 200-yard medley relay.
Niederhauser had two second place finishes for the Lady Pack, finishing as the runner-up in both the 50 and 100-yard freestyle swims.
Brittany Jackson also added a runner-up finish for Washington, with a second place swim in the 500-yard freestyle.
Niederhauser and Omonde continued completed their stellar day, teaming with Caroline Jackson and Sarah Hager to finish third in the 200-yard freestyle relay.
Howard (200-yard freestyle), Thompson (100-yard backstroke) and the 400-yard freestyle relay team (Hager, Caroline Jackson, Brittany Jackson and Thompson) also added third place finishes for Washington.
The Pam Pack will be out of the pool for the next two weeks, before returning to action against Wilson-Hunt and Richlands in a home meet on Jan. 10.