Goddard earns another award

Published 8:11 pm Tuesday, January 6, 2009

The awards continue to pile up for Trimane Goddard.
Goddard, a former standout at Roanoke High School, had a stellar senior season at safety for the North Carolina Tar Heels.
On Monday, Goddard was named a first-team defensive back on the 2008 Collegefootballnews.com All-ACC team.
He was also tabbed as the fourth best defensive back and listed as the 16th top player, regardless of position, in the ACC.
The 5-11, 200-pound safety is tied for the national lead with seven interceptions, a mark that is tied for third-best in a single season by a Tar Heel player (Junior Edge also had seven in 1961). Dre Bly had 11 interceptions in 1996 and Lou Angelo recorded eight in 1972.
The UNC co-captain returned one of the picks for a touchdown.
Goddard had 54 tackles, five pass break-ups, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble this season.
Goddard earned several accolades earlier this year. He was named to the 2008 Associated Press All-America Second Team, 2008 Walter Camp All-America Second Team, 2008 Rivals.com All-America Third Team, 2008 SI.com All-America honorable mention and All-ACC First Team.
Goddard finished his UNC career with 12 interceptions (tied for third in UNC history with three others) and 182 tackles. (Dre Bly picked off 20 passes from 1996-98 while Lou Angelo had 16 interceptions from 1970-72.)
Goddard plans to work out and prepare for the upcoming NFL Draft.