Pack girls win third straight

Published 1:41 am Wednesday, February 4, 2009

GREENVILLE — Washington hit some clutch free throws in the waning stages of Tuesday’s Coastal Conference game. That enabled the Pam Pack to hold off the J.H. Rose Rampants, 46-42.
It was the third straight victory for the Washington girls. (The boys game was not over before Tuesday’s early deadline.)
Ashley Randolph, who paced Rose (4-16, 4-7) with 14 points, was nailing everything she threw up from downtown. However, Harmony Simpkins converted clutch free throws down the stretch to keep the Rampants at bay.
Simpkins led the Pack (9-9, 4-7) with 14 points while Jordan Cantrell added 12. Davey Ann Burbage and TeAmber Burke, who were forces on the glass, scored eight apiece.
Though she didn’t score, Hayley Stowe did a nice job of running the show. Stowe has missed several games because of illness or injury and isn’t back to full strength just yet.
The Pack jumped out to a 5-0 lead and would never trail in the game. Simpkins scored six points in the first quarter to help give the Pack a 10-3 advantage.
The Rampants pulled within 14-13 late in the second quarter before Cantrell buried a big 3-pointer to swing the momentum back in Washington’s favor.
The Pack built its lead to five, but the Rampants would always answer in the third. A Randolph triple got Rose within 27-25, but Cantrell was able to hit a nifty driving layup just before the buzzer to give the Pack a four-point cushion.
Sharita Grice hit a rebound-bucket to push Washington’s lead to 31-25 early in the fourth.
Rose pulled within 35-33 on a three-point play by Tonika Grimes, but Burbage buried a pair of free throws at the other end to extend the lead.
Another Randolph triple made it 40-38, but Simpkins iced the game with her free throw shooting in the final couple minutes.
The Pack had to readjust the lineup as sophomore Beth Batchelor missed the game with a swollen ankle.
The Pam Pack returns home for Senior Night on Friday as Washington squares off with New Bern.
Washington’s final two regular season games will be on the road. The Pack plays at Havelock on Tuesday and at West Carteret on Thursday.
Girls
Washington 10 8 11 17 — 46
J.H. Rose 3 10 12 17 — 42
WASHINGTON (46)
Harmony Simpkins 14, Jordan Cantrell 12, Burke 8, Burbage 8, Grice 4, Stowe, R. Cantrell.
J.H. ROSE (42)
Ashley Randolph 14, Corbett 9, Fornville 6, Brooks 5, Grimes 4, Beres 2, Avin 2.