Williamston sweeps conference tourney

Published 5:16 am Saturday, February 21, 2009

By By BRIAN HAINES, Sports Writer
YEATESVILLE — It was potentially his last time to stick it to his crosstown rival, and Williamston center Derek Everett seized the moment as his 32-point effort led the second-seeded Tigers to a 79-77 overtime victory over top-seeded Roanoke in the Atlantic Conference tournament championship game on Friday.
Decked out in the Tigers’ green uniform, the hulking Everett put on a display in the post as he hit on an array of moves, and was virtually unstoppable in the second half were he racked up 25 of his game-high 32 points.
Everett netted 13 fourth-quarter points to help Williamston (8-15) wipe out a 51-43 Roanoke (15-12) lead heading into the quarter.
Thanks to a tremendous effort by the Redskins’ Aaron Baker and Amos Perkins, Roanoke held a lead for the previous three quarters.
Baker scored from all over the court for a team-high 30, while Perkins was equally deadly netting 21 points.
In the extra session, Baker scored the first five points to give his team an early 72-67 lead.
Williamston rallied back behind two huge three-pointers by point guard K.J. Brown. The first one knotted the game at 72, and the second one put Williamston ahead 77-75.
The Redskins’ Tarin Sheppard hit a pair of free throws to tie the game at 77, but once again Everett came up with a big basket and gave Williamston the lead for good with a layup.
In the end, Pittman said his team just got out-worked.
The Redskins will look to regroup before the NCHSAA 1-A playoffs start on Monday when they will be hosting a team to be determined.
Williamston will begin its playoff journey Tuesday when it hosts West Columbus.
Tigers ride hot start to tourney title
A hot start fueled by a strong press and a balanced offensive attack lifted No. 1 seed Williamston to a 70-58 win in the Atlantic Conference title game over No. 3 seed Roanoke Friday at Northside High School.
The Conference crown was Williamston’s second in a row.
The Tigers smothered the Redskins’ ball-handlers forcing several turnovers which were converted into fastbreak hoops for Williamston as it took a 24-12 lead after the first eight minutes.
In one of its more balanced offensive games in a while, Williamston (21-1) featured three players in double-digit scoring and had eight players tally points. Roanoke (14-13) had five players score, two netting more than 10.
The Tigers, led by Katie Paschal’s 31 points and 11 from both Cassie Harrell and Zakia Morris, needed every point they could get early.
After the slow start, the Redskins rallied behind Kierra Land and Emoni Jones, and out-scored Williamston over the next two quarters.
Land was on fire, and her sweet stroke earned her a team-high 30 points, while Jones was good for 12.
In the fourth quarter, Jasmine Griffin heated up, and when she scored her fifth fourth-quarter point she cut the Tigers’ lead to 57-53 with under four minutes left in the game.
The five point deficit would be the closest Roanoke had gotten to Williamston all game, and it would not get any closer.
Morris and Paschal scored on back-to-back layups in a 10-second span to put the game out of reach at 62-53.
Both teams will begin their march toward a state title on Tuesday, as Tigers host a yet to be determined wild-card team, and Roanoke will hit the road to face Perquimans.
Williamston 9 10 24 24 12 — 79
Roanoke 12 17 22 16 10 — 77
Tigers (79)
K.J. Brown 18, Derek Everett 32, Kiyon Coffield 10, Javon Beach 10, Kylan Harrell 9.
Redskins (77)
Aaron Baker 30, Oden 8. Amos Perkins 21, Sheppard 6, Adams 9, Daniels 2, Cooper 5.
Girls
Roanoke 12 15 14 17 — 58
Williamston 24 10 13 23 — 70
Redskins (58)
Kierra Land 40, Emoni Jones 12, Griffin 8, Council 7, Baker 1.
Tigers (70)
Katie Paschal 31, Zakira Morris 11, Norfleet 7, Cassie Harrell 11, Everette 2, Wynn 2, Clemmons 4, Davis 1.