Redskins runs past Tigers

Published 6:13 am Thursday, February 26, 2009

By By STEVE FRANKLIN, Sports Writer
ROBERSONVILLE — For three quarters, Roanoke’s high-scoring offense was dormant, as the Redskins scored just 41 points in the first 24 minutes Wednesday night and trailed Creswell by as many as nine points in the third.
However, in the fourth, Roanoke came alive.
The Redskins’ offense exploded for 29 points in the final quarter Wednesday to top Creswell 70-61 and advance to the third round of the N.C. High School Athletic Association state basketball playoffs.
Trailing 50-43 in the early stages of the fourth, the Redskins strung together an 18-5 run to grab control of the contest. During that stretch, Roanoke’s “Big Three” of Aaron Baker, Amos Perkins and Aaron Oden scored all 18 points. Oden netted six points to start the run and help the Redskins cut the Tigers’ lead to 55-52 then Baker connected on back-to-back three pointers on consecutive possessions to help Roanoke grab a 58-55 lead. The Redskins extended the lead even further on the ensuing possession as Perkins buried a shot from behind the arc to make it 61-55.
The Tigers were able to rally to within 63-61 in the final two minutes on buckets by Shivon Spear, Justin Phelps and Joseph Hill, but Roanoke pulled away late, as Oden hit a short jumper and a free throw, and Tavin Sheppard and Perkins each connected on a pair of free throws in the final 30 seconds to lift the ’Skins to a victory.
Baker led Roanoke (16-12) with 22 points, Perkins poured in 18 and Oden added 15.
Roanoke shot well from beyond the arc, connecting on 10-of-21 three-point attempts.
Creswell (21-6) was paced by Phelps with 17 points and Spear with 15.
The Redskins will travel to Camden to face off with the Bruins on Friday night. Camden (24-3) advanced to the third round of the state playoffs with a 72-59 victory over Southeast Halifax on Wednesday evening.
Roanoke 70, Creswell 61
Creswell 19 9 19 14 — 61
Roanoke 15 15 11 29 — 70
Creswell (61)
Justin Phelps 17, Shivon Spear 15, Blount 9, Owens 8, D. Phelps 8, Hill 4.
Roanoke (70)
Aaron Baker 22, Amos Perkins 18, Aaron Oden 15, Cooper 7, Sheppard 2, Sessons 4, Adams 2.