Area stars continue to shine

Published 8:40 am Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Former area athletes continue to shine in the professional and collegiate ranks.
PRO BASKETBALL
Damien Wilkins is averaging 5.5 points, 1.8 rebounds and 1.0 assists per game for the Oklahoma City Thunder. He started in Saturday’s 108-90 loss to New Orleans. Wilkins finished with 18 points, two rebounds, two assists and a steal in 35 minutes.
Elton Coffield, a former star at Williamston High School, is averaging 20.4 points with the BSW Sixers (Germany).
Ralph Biggs, a Washington native, is playing with Ural Great Perm (Russia). He is averaging 10.8 points, 4.6 rebounds, 3.7 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
Joe Barber, a former standout at Terra Ceia College, is averaging 10.6 points, 4.0 rebounds and 0.9 assists with the Sendai 89ers (Japan).
PRO BASEBALL
Ryan Zimmerman, a Washington native, is playing with the Washington Nationals. He hit .283 with 14 homers and 51 RBIs last season.
COLLEGE BASEBALL
Trent Whitehead, a former star at Washington High School, is playing with the East Carolina Pirates. The sophomore is hitting .500 with seven RBIs and 11 runs scored.
Britton Cole, a former standout at Pitt Community College who is from Chocowinity, is playing with the East Carolina Pirates.
Styron Barfield, a former standout at Williamston High School, is a pitcher at Elizabeth City. He is 1-3 with an 6.33 ERA on the year. Barfield has struck out 20 and walked 11 in 21 1/3 innings. Barfield notched his first win of the season with a complete-game, 11-strikeout performance in a 10-2 victory over Lincoln (Pa.).
Josh Woolard, a former standout at Washington High School, is playing at Lenoir Community College. Woolard (0-0, 1.12 ERA) has appeared in three games and given up one run on five hits in eight innings of work. He has two strikeouts and two walks.
Alan Swain, a former star at Washington High School, is playing at Lenoir Community College. Swain (0-0, 10.81 ERA) has appeared in two games and given up four runs on five hits in 3 1/3 innings. He has one strikeout and three walks.
COLLEGE SOFTBALL
Meredith Knox, a former star at Washington High School, is playing at Anderson University. Knox is hitting .394 with four home runs and 13 RBIs. She has scored 19 runs and stolen three bases.
Nicole Jordan, a former standout at Jamesville High School, is playing with the East Carolina Lady Pirates. She is 0 for 5 on the season.
Kat Cahoon, a former standout at Columbia High School, is playing at Mount Olive College. The senior is hitting .276 with two RBIs. Cahoon has also scored eight runs and stolen two bases. Cahoon is among 11 finalists selected for the Murphy Osborne Award, the most prestigious honor awarded by the Conference Carolinas. Cahoon is involved in numerous campus and community activities and organizations. She’s a member of Mount Olive College Ambassadors and the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee. She spends time as a campus ministry leader and participates in worship services on campus. She has been a member of the MOC Singers and performed in the production of “The Pirates of Penzance.” Pursuing a degree in recreation and leisure services management, and a minor in religion, Cahoon has a 3.602 grade-point average. She has received all-academic accolades from Conference Carolinas as a junior and senior, and is a multi-time selection on the Conference Carolinas Presidential Honor Roll. On the softball field, Cahoon has batted a crisp .349 during the past two seasons and earned all-Carolina Conference tournament honors last season. The Osborne winner will be announced March 12.
Tiffany Frey, a former standout at Jamesville High School, is playing at Pitt Community College. The freshman broke an ankle during practice and will be in a cast and on crutches for the next five weeks. Frey is hitting .182 (2 for 11) with two runs, two stolen bases and two RBIs on the year.
Lauren Rodriguez, a former standout at Northside High School, is playing at Campbell. The freshman suffered a broken leg in the preseason and is hoping to return to action at some point this season.
Dominique Mills, a former standout at Williamston High School, is playing at Fayetteville State. Mills is hitting .278 and has scored nine runs. She also has four stolen bases and three RBIs on the year.
Donecia Ebron, a former standout at Northside High School, is playing at Fayetteville State. Ebron has scored one run.
TENNIS
Lauren Allen, a former star at Washington High School, is playing at Peace College. Allen is 1-2 in singles play and 1-2 in doubles play.
TRACK
Jamont Jones, a former star at Washington High School, is competing at Lenoir-Rhyne. The Bears will compete in the Asics Winthrop Invitational on March 27.
Jessica Rogers, a former standout at Washington High School, is competing at North Carolina A&T. The outdoor track season starts March 20-21 with the Wake Forest Invitational.
Gina Valenti, a former star at Washington High School, is competing at Lees-McRae. The outdoor track season starts March 20-21 with the Wake Forest Invitational.
Derek Joyner, a former standout at Terra Ceia, is competing at Pitt Community College. The Bulldogs begin the season March 9-10 against Barton College.
—–
Know of any other area athletes competing in college? E-mail sports editor Kevin Travis at Kevin@wdnweb.com.