EAC tourney to tip off today

Published 9:08 am Saturday, March 14, 2009

Beaufort County will have its own version of March Madness as the Eastern Athletic Conference All-Star Youth Basketball Tournament tips off today.
Over 500 basketball players and their parents are expected in the area for the two-day tournament, which will be held at five different locations. A total of 54 teams in various age categories will participate.
Games will be held at P.S. Jones Middle School, the Washington Boys &Girls Club, the Bobby Andrews Center, Southside High School and Chocowinity Middle School.
Kids ranging in age from seven to 15 will compete this weekend.
Besides bringing some basketball excitement to the area, restaurants and hotels will benefit from the tournament.
Full concessions are expected and a minimal gate-fee will be charged at each site. Admission is $3 for adults, $2 for students and free for anybody under the age of five.
Wilson Edwards, commissioner of the Washington Youth Basketball League, said the tournament will benefit local athletes. He noted that all gate receipts from each venue from “this wonderful experience” will go to the WYBL.
The tournament is split into six divisions: 7-9-year-old boys, 7-9-year-old girls, 10-year-old boys, 10-12-year-old girls, 10-12-year-old boys and 13-15-year-old boys.
The 7-9 boys tourney will be played at the Bobby Andrews Center, while the 7-9 girls action will be held at The Boys &Girls Club.
The 10-year old division will play its games at Southside High School, which will also house a portion of the 13-15 boys games. The other portion of those games will be played at Chocowinity Middle School.
P.S. Jones will play host to the 10-12 boys bracket, while Chocowinity Middle school will entertain the 10-12 girls division.