Copper excited about Chiefs

Published 9:57 am Thursday, March 19, 2009

Terrance Copper received a nice belated birthday present this week.
Copper, who turned 27 on March 12, signed a one-year deal with the Kansas City Chiefs on Monday. The former Washington Pam Pack and East Carolina standout was supposed to fly to Kansas City on his birthday, but no planes were available then.
The Chiefs become Copper’s fourth team in six years. Other teams showed an interest in the wide receiver/special teams ace, but Copper said the Chiefs was an easy choice.
Copper, who split time between the New Orleans Saints and Baltimore Ravens a year ago, is familiar with several members of Kansas City’s coaching staff. New head coach Todd Haley was Copper’s receiver’s coach in Dallas.
Copper, who has 46 receptions for 600 yards and six touchdowns in his career, is looking to make an impact.
Copper will report to Kansas City, which went 2-14 a year ago, on March 30 for the start of conditioning. That will last until June. Players will then report to training camp in August.
The 6-0, 207-pound player has been working out on his own. After a neck injury last year, along with an illness that cost the receiver some 12 pounds, Copper is ready to start fresh.
Copper admitted to being frustrated last year. After being released twice by the Saints, Copper found himself on the inactive list for a handful of Baltimore’s games.
Copper is hoping that changing teams will be a boost to his career.
Along with learning a new playbook and catching passes from a different quarterback, quite possibly recently-signed Matt Cassell, Copper will have to learn a new city.
Copper, who plans to hold his second football camp at Washington High School in late June, is anxious to join the Chiefs.